addition lighting neons ect

matt3579

hey, so i have neons on the car already running on battery with a switch so i can turn them on and off.

that all runs fine.

i want to add a addition wire in there so they come on when the car is unlocked basically with the interior light but i understand this can cause issues with the bcm and i did try but kept blowing fuses except the 30amp one but the wires got hot quick so took off.

is there another 12v source that i can tap into that becomes live when the car unlocked like the dome light?

thanks

Not sure about a live on unlock, but I know some folks have tapped into the door switch so your lights could come on when a door is opened?

may ne worth putting on the backburner if i cant fine anything else any idea which wire i should be looking for and where?

Surely you'd need a relay and/or switch live rather than overpowering the puny live for an interior light?

got the neons on a switch to the battery for when im driving but would be nice to have them come on when unlocking like the dome light but as ou say surely a relay or something or ideally a better power source ...

Relay will be needed for sure, you can't draw too much power through the existing wiring that is designed just to run a couple of interior bulbs, no wonder it keeps blowing 😉. Relays are simple enough to wire up, and you can tap into the direct feed you already have coming from the battery using thicker gauge cable that can handle the current draw. Then all you need is a negative and a wire going to the interior light wiring to switch the relay on.

Relay will be needed for sure, you can't draw too much power through the existing wiring that is designed just to run a couple of interior bulbs, no wonder it keeps blowing 😉. Relays are simple enough to wire up, and you can tap into the direct feed you already have coming from the battery using thicker gauge cable that can handle the current draw. Then all you need is a negative and a wire going to the interior light wiring to switch the relay on.

Any ideal what kind or relay would be needed ?

Any basic 4 pin 12v relay, a 30amp one will be fine for running up to 360w of equipment (so hopefully your neons don't exceed that). They are about a fiver on ebay

Any basic 4 pin 12v relay, a 30amp one will be fine for running up to 360w of equipment (so hopefully your neons don't exceed that). They are about a fiver on ebay

Nice one ill take a look and see what i can find :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate, can you let me know how you get on with this, im looking at getting neons myself, may need to ask you for your help/advice!

Hey mate, can you let me know how you get on with this, im looking at getting neons myself, may need to ask you for your help/advice!

what is it you want to know ive got the neons done already wired on a switch to the battery i just want to them to come on when i lock/unlock it aswell

what is it you want to know ive got the neons done already wired on a switch to the battery i just want to them to come on when i lock/unlock it aswell

let me know how you get on with them coming on when you unock and lock the car, if you can do that would be interested in finding out how and maybe getting some help :-)