Correct oil level

Colin747

I know this topic been slightly done to death...crap dipstick design etc. but I got a Z last week and went to check the oil last night and it seem well below the L mark to me but as you know it's a bit of a pain, I put a litre in this morning but the level doesn't seem to have risen all that high (about double what it was to be fair) but I've begun to doubt myself that much I'd just like a second opinion that I'm not reading this wrong and sticking far too much oil in....

The green line is roughly where I thought the oil level was yesterday and the red line is where I'm assuming the level is today. (I should note the car had only been sitting about 1.5-2 hours today when that level was taken)

2YTm0hb.jpg?1

Edited by Colin747

I would tend to agree, but there's an awful lot of oil on the stick above the high level too.

That said, a litre would bring you roughly from where you were to were you are, so at least it seems consistent there. Really though you're pretty much at the point where you're going to have to drop the oil to get a proper measure for confidence, especially since you suspect you ran very low.

Personally I would leave it. It looks correct, but it it's wrong you could end up putting too much in and blowing seals etc. Assuming you're not doing a billion miles in a week, I'd prob just check the level daily to make sure it's not dropping drastically :)

It does depend if you took an accurate reading yesterday, so when you put the litre in, you have ended up high as you under-read it yesterday? As Dan said, when it is drained get a reading. Check daily and if necessary throw a load of cardboard under the car over night to check to see if anything is leaking out whilst stationary.

I took the reading again this morning after it sat overnight before adding any oil and the reading was at the green mark level again so I'm hoping the reading was accurate. I'll try sticking some cardboard under it tonight just to check it's not leaking out anywhere.

I'd be more worried with it burning it than leaking it, the V6 lumps are pretty good when it comes to being sealed. But yes, cardboard is a good idea and an easy thing to do.

What would the normal rate of oil consumption be for a DE?

It varies: Nissan spec is 1L/1000mi (or km, I can't remember), and some Revup DE engines do chew through that and more. Personally I feel that's too high.

In general, a healthy DE engine shouldn't consume much more than half a litre over the course of a 9000 mi service window. A litre, tops.

It's worth noting that the difference between L and H is around 1.5l - 1.8l (Depending on whether a DE or Revup). Assuming it was full of oil at some point (4.7l), then it has lost a fairly large amount. Burning oil is manageable though as long as you check every 500 miles or so and top up when needed. Oil starvation is one of the biggest killers of these engines, so definitely worth checking regularly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...