I need your help guys please

Rob350

Iv had this code now for about 2months thinking it was a funky faulty cat or o2 sensor so no damage would be done that's why I left it, im about to try and fix it.

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 or 2 I can't remember which

I did some research and tthe rough idea I got was people that had the same code changed the o2 sensor or cat and that cleared it,

I looked further into it and people said most of the time it was the o2 sensor

I do have a k1 exhaust on my car, and I'm not too sure if the o2 sensor spacers are fitted, but i bought the car with exhaust already on and the code diddnt show up until about 2months/1500 miles after I bought it

When I clear the code it only comes back on when I'm cruising around 2k rpm for longer than 5 mins, say on a duel carriageway or motorway,

this is nissans technical notes

https://www.autocode...420_nissan.html

Iv been researching again today and American forums have been saying things like pre cat engine failure, where little bits from the dud cat somehow make it back up into the engine.

Now I'm worried.

My car is an 04 DE and has got 90k miles with FSH and doesn't burn any oil really, iv done 4k miles in 4months and only topped it up a quarter liter so far

one of the fuel dampers is ticking away Nicely if that might make a difference I don't know, but iv just ordered 1 off Jon today so will be fitting that when I get it

Do you have any ideas whether its a dud cat? Or sensor? So I'm only buying one

have any of you had this before?

Is there a way to check and make sure the o2 sensor or cat is faulty before buying replacements?

Thanks for any help or advice you have, I'd rather speak to you all than a mechanic or nissan lol

Edited by Rob350