Driver seat height - hmm

RobPhoboS

I found out last month on a track day when wearing my lid it's rubbing against the roof.

I'm not that tall, about 6ft but I think it's probably because I sit quite close and upright for my driving position.

After some panicking, adjusting the seat at much as possible, and having to slouch down a bit I went out but it wasn't comfortable nor confidence inspiring.

Is there any possible way to reduce the height, even just by 1cm !??? :wacko::lol:

So, I know one solution is to get bucket seats, I presume side mounted(?), plus some kind of harness bar and harnesses but even if kept to the budget end of the spectrum, it's expensive for something I'll really only make use of a handful of times a year.

I do not like the seats anyway since I've got no lower back support, and it tends to make me ache after a short while.

Any help would be much appreciated !

:surrender:

(edit, I should possibly try another lid as my one has some weird visor thing that comes down like top gun)

I did just find this, not sure if they use the exact same seats:

http://g35driver.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-diy/34492-lack-drivers-seat-headroom-easy-easy-0-fix.html

Edited by RobPhoboS

Bucket seats normally sit higher than OEM, unless you get custom mounts or bolt direct to the floor pan.

I'd have said that adjusting your position is the way to go. The 350 seats do go pretty low, and can enable an excellent (and correct) poisition. You say they're not comfy, that could be due to a poor position you've got them set to. If you change it and accept it may feel odd for a while, you could be much better off long term.

Drop the seat as low as possible, get your legs so that you can fully depress the clutch without locking your leg, then adjust the backrest so that when your arms are stretched, your wrists rest on the steering wheel. That should be perfect, albeit it does feel odd at first!

Of course, I may be teaching you to suck eggs and you've done this, in which case it's custom mounts for you sir :)

Yep I have my position set like that already, and using the CG Lock helps keep me in place but its the lower back, just needs a bit of cushioning there.

I have to go and check it and happy to re-position things to gain the height.

I've not seen what it's like without the seats in place, so I will do this if no joy - but do you think a custom mount would work ? (my car is the 04 GT)

Jdm cloth seats sit lower than uk leather (no electric gubbins) and i found them much more comfortable because of this, cheap to buy too and easy to swap in and out for track days, they dont offer any more support than uk obviously as they are the same shape but also less slippery as they are cloth so you tend not to slither around as much :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I tried out a couple of different lids that my friend had sitting around, and one of them is shorter in height !

So I just have to recline slightly and all seems ok-ish for now.

The only thing it's one of those cheapy Leopard lids, about £30 on ebay :lol:

Ideally I'd rather get one for cars as they can take multiple impacts iirc.

In a tintop car, I'd be happy enough wearing a bike lid. In a softtop, I'd only ever wear a car helmet.

Not saying that's right (it's definitely not!), but that's my own personal risk assessment. The most important thing is that it fits properly and comfortably, and then as long as it meets the various standards then it'll be fine regardless of cost.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

YEY !

I bought a new lid from infinity_warehouse on ebay, they were incredibly helpful and since they were nearby to my mum's, they said I could return it if the size wasn't right.

I new the size for my head would be fine as I tried one on the weekend from the same brand but not the same model.

I ordered yesterday morning and it arrived this morning :thumbs:

Scorpion EXO 410 - was the specific model I bought, and I now fit in the car with a lid :yahoo:

Of course in the future new seats, harness and bar and a 'proper' track lid but for now I can chill.

Edited by RobPhoboS