Quiet exhaust options with supercharger and decats

Hiro

Hello,

I know most people aren't usually interested in a quiet exhaust, but since I'm supercharged I was told that running the standard cats would be a bad option due to the extra airflow and power from the supercharger. Because of this I'm running Motordyne ART pipes, but I don't want a loud, raspy, droney exhaust as this car is my daily driver. I've read that the OEM exhaust is very raspy with a SC and ART pipes so I'm swaying away from that option. Any suggestion? Thank you.

I ran a true dual HKS, not the same as type as the Japspeed copies, it was very similar to Invidia, i used Berks HFC's without issue and was what i consider quiet, got the noise board at Bedford which is 98db drive by, pretty much the strictest circuit in the country.

Andy James runs a Milltek on a 500+ forged so no issue there either :)

• Like 1

I ran a true dual HKS, not the same as type as the Japspeed copies, it was very similar to Invidia, i used Berks HFC's without issue and was what i consider quiet, got the noise board at Bedford which is 98db drive by, pretty much the strictest circuit in the country.

Andy James runs a Milltek on a 500+ forged so no issue there either :)

After trying a couple of others which in my opinion may sound better the Miltek system is the best all round exhaust to allow a boosted car to breath and pass a sound test on a track day. The last time my car was tested with the test pipes fitted it was 98db.

Thanks for the input so far. I'm was actually running the MD TDX2 for a while. I can't complain about the exhaust itself as I didn't notice much drone at all but it is very aggressive (in a good way) above 3500 rpms. I might be selling it soon, but since I'm still using the Y pipe part, I'm looking to get a new MD Y pipe so I can sell the set complete. Anyway, I've heard the Milltek is good, but I have not heard it in person. How does it compare to a Tanabe Medallion or a Fujitsubo? I've heard those two are toward the quieter end of things. Also, and this may be a rumor, but I also heard something about the Milltek quality decreasing recently for some reason. Were they made in a different factory before or is that just false rumors? Thanks for all the help.

Hey Jetpilot, thanks for the tip, I'll try to find the video.

Whitevanman, nice to see you here. Are you happy with your 370? Are you running the Fuji on your new car or was it on the other one? Is there a certain RPM range that the volume increased? I may post another thread about this, but is drone inevitable for every aftermarket exhaust in the 2200-2900 range? The Motordyne TDX2 was pretty good in this department actually. Wasn't really any drone at all at this cruising range speed. Above 3500, everything changed though.

Hiro,

My 370 came with th fujitsubo already on it from Japan, I just added the cats as it was to quiet,

I didn't want a loud system on this car like I had on the 350 the drone was awful on long journeys,

I get zero drone and a sporty sound kicks in at about 3500-4000 revs.

Heard good things about the Milltek system and if Tarmac recommend it maybe that's the way to go for you...

We'll have to have a meet up again sometime mate....

Whitevanman,

Good to hear you are enjoying your new car. Definately a good choice, but I would like to see it in person at some point, hopefully soon.

Tarmac,

How well does the Milltek system work with the Motordyne Y-pipe with resonator or HFC extension and ART de-cat pipes? Does that set-up drone or sound raspy at all? How loud is it compared to stock or a full blown Motordyne set-up? Thanks for your help.

Whitevanman,

Good to hear you are enjoying your new car. Definately a good choice, but I would like to see it in person at some point, hopefully soon.

Tarmac,

How well does the Milltek system work with the Motordyne Y-pipe with resonator or HFC extension and ART de-cat pipes? Does that set-up drone or sound raspy at all? How loud is it compared to stock or a full blown Motordyne set-up? Thanks for your help.

It will certainly lower the tone, shouldn't be too much rasp as the art pipes are resonated but it will be louder than stock but a lot quieter than the full motordyne.

The full Milltek system with HFCs has always been a big hit with owners on here so I wouldn't think it would be much difference over that in terms of sound.

As part of the Black Friday deal I can give a further 5% off Milltek till this Thursday

Whitevanman,

Tarmac,

HIRO,

I will be doing a lot of shows next year mate, so will keep you posted either on here or skyline owners.com.

I missed the entire show season this year waiting for the car to arrive and be legal....

Jim.