VQ35DE rebuild WHERE?

Spatt

How did you get on with Ken?

I'm going to see him on Sat (i was supposed to be going Sat just gone but was out for my mothers birthday and too much wine was consumed) :lol:

I sounds like he'll be able to do it and the money seems good too though we only briefly discussed it, hopefully if all goes well with my meeting with him next Sat i'll get the work done with them. cheers for the heads up on that one dude

No worries.

I'm getting my bottom end fitted there.

What's he roughly charging if don't mind me asking? Is it drive in drive out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said 1000 quid. Drive in drive out. But I'm gonna keep an additional 1000 quid aside for unexpected costs.

Been quoted 8 to 10k for labour slone in a few places just to fit the bottom end.

thats ridiculous!

He said i would be looking at 2.5 to 3k so right on the money for me... so long as it doesn't start going north of 3.5k i'll be going with them,, they;re right down the road from me

Happy days then!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry to dig this thread out of the woodwork but i thought i would let those interested the engine has been dismantled and i am proceeding with the rebuild as soon as we can confirm exactly what is required

Took the car to RE Performance in Bury and the lads there have been great so far!

So it looks like all 6 cylinders have seen oil and there is some heavy glazing. clearly the oil burning has been present for some time. Ken at RE Performance tells me that the bearings on the engine look brand new and although we're changing them anyway it looks like the timing chain guides are in very good condition.

He thinks the engine has been rebuild previously and has had new bearings and timing chain. Will keep you posted

Matt

• Like 2

I'm with marzman I wouldn't expect it to have had a rebuild but you never know, so what had caused this and what work are they going to be doing mate :thumbs:

Hi Mark,

Not 100% best we can figure is, the car was burning oil after about 4K rpm on full throttle. I think i put this down to poor oil maintenance as i had serviced the car a couple of time to find only around 2.5 Ltrs of oil in there. So its obviously been burning it.

Looks like i'm having all the usual consumables done. Bearings, Seals, gaskets but also the timing chain while the engine is out. Got a pretty good price from Nissan (i know shock horror) the whole kit was around £800.

Should be like a new one when its all done

• Like 1

I'm with marzman I wouldn't expect it to have had a rebuild but you never know, so what had caused this and what work are they going to be doing mate :thumbs:

Hi Mark,

Not 100% best we can figure is, the car was burning oil after about 4K rpm on full throttle. I think i put this down to poor oil maintenance as i had serviced the car a couple of time to find only around 2.5 Ltrs of oil in there. So its obviously been burning it.

Looks like i'm having all the usual consumables done. Bearings, Seals, gaskets but also the timing chain while the engine is out. Got a pretty good price from Nissan (i know shock horror) the whole kit was around £800.

:lol: I had all of that done in mine, im convinced im still using the same oil though lol

Hi Mark,

:lol: I had all of that done in mine, im convinced im still using the same oil though lol

Did you have your bores done and new piston heads and rings ect? I'll find out sure enough if its still using it but the point is i couldn't drive the car without it smoking like a rocket

I had everything done lol new rings, new seals, new oil pump, new bearings, new chains, new pulleys, heads ground polished etc.. bores honed etc.. lol

I wouldn't have been happy with that outcome after paying for a rebuild. I suppose some people don't like to make a fuss. I'll certainly be looking at the oil consumption while the workmanship is still in warranty