Oil Cooler Q

josh2005

Evening all!

I've been underneath the car tonight and have noticed some aftermarket/non-standard pipework! Followed it and found a nice after-market oil cooler, looks like a Mishimoto (sp?) piece of kit as well as some ducting to it.

Obviously this is good as I was wanting to get one for track use anyway, question is will it hold up to track use? I've noticed temperature climbs up when spirited driving but guessing it's thermostatic possibly to get it up to temp but it shouldn't go any higher?

Any advice appreciated, obviously it's a bonus it's there unless it turns out to be useless!!

I have a thermostatic mishimoto oil cooler. It kicks in very early (after a couple mins from cold start). I took it for a spirited drive 2 weeks back. About 10-15 mins flat out to 7k rpm in 1/2/3rd and temp needle never went above half way which i was very happy with.

If you touch the pipes or oil cooler radiator you can feel the heat. Its similar temp to you household radiators and pipes so is dispersing a fair amount of heat which would be crucial on track

While it will be needed no doubt for track use, you may find it will cool too much during normal driving, you may need to block it altogether during winter, as too low oil temps are just as bad as too high,

Modern oils are designed to handle temps in excess of 130C, you also don't want to be running normal oil temps of lower than 90c and ideally 100c, if i where you i would fir an accurate aftermarket oil temp gauge, as the std unit is rather broad in its range of normal.