Clutch slave problem

Deee26

Hello all, I've tried searching but cannot get the search function to work so figured I would start a new thread.

Whilst driving recently my pedal started feeling spongy and within in a mile or two had dropped to the floor. I figured it was a hydraulic issue as I've never had any issues with the clutch.

Whilst I waited for the tow truck I noticed a few drips of clutch fluid appear on the floor. A few days later when I had chance to get under the car I couldn't for the life of me see any trace of where the fluid had come from however a quick google indicated a common issue on the 370Z's being the clutch slave cylinder (CSC) failing. This would tie in with what I am experiencing, and also the fact that I couldn't see any obvious signs of the fluid coming from anywhere. I suspect a little has found it's way out of the bottom of the bellhousing.

I'm not a great fan of taking my car to garages as I generally feel like everything is rushed and often cars don't come back the same, so I'm going to do it myself. Ohh and saving over £500 on labour is another plus!

Being rear wheel drive it looks very straight forward. A new CSC from Nissan weighed in at £115

Have many people have this issue?

Quite a common issue and pointless replacing like for like as there is a flaw in the OEM CSC.

Best to replace the CSC with an upgraded unit and perhaps consider replacing the clutch and fly as well (after market) or at least remove and inspect to reach an informed decision.

• 2 months later...

There was far too much life left on my clutch to warrant a replacement. Clearly the slave had just developed a small weeping leak that had just dribbled down the side of the bellhousing. I cannot see a scanrio where the slave could fail in such a catastrophic way that fluid would reach the clutch. I can understand why, when paying a garage a significant amount of money, it would make sense to change the clutch if the car has covered some milage. However being a RWD car the gearbox off is a very straightforward and speedy job, therefore for me 'if it aint broke (or about to brake) then don't fix it.'