The Skirrid Inn

Erni902

Popped out to the alleged 'Oldest pub in Wales' The Skirrid Inn.

Those that are from the area may know the history behind the pub and I wont go into it in detail but it is alleged that it is the oldest pub in Wales believed to have been built in the 1110, however this has been called into question several times. I suppose none of us will ever really know when the building was first built as none of us were around then.

It was however used as a court of law and those sentenced to death were hanged from an Oak beam in the stairway. The beam itself still bares the scars of the ropes as they swung back and fourth. It is said to have taken around 15 minutes for people to die due to the thickness of rope used for the noose. Very grim indeed. Evidence also suggests that as many as 182 people were hanged in this very stairwell.

The Skirrid Inn is still a fully functional pub to this day and myself and a friend have visited a few times. We ate there for the first time tonight and the food was very good. Definitely feel ready for bed now. Anyway while I was there I could not pass on a photo opportunity with the Zed!!

The picture quality is not great as it was taken on my phone and there is not a ghost in the window of my car it was my friend moving his head as I took the picture. I will try to get a better camera involved and head back there for some better day and night pics but for now here she is:

20160929_203000_zpsmgbsy6gb.jpg

Anyway for those would like to know more just google it and there is a wealth of info about it. It features as one of Britain's most haunted pubs. Now I am a very sceptical person and don't really tend to believe in ghosts etc but as you drive down that road at night in the dark it feels very eerie indeed. Being inside is also a little eerie but I have never ventured up the stairs where it is supposed to be haunted most as the courtroom and holding cells were in the rooms up there. You can see the rope burns from the bottom of the stairs though which is a little freaky.

It has also featured on Extreme Ghost Stories Season 1 Episode 1 for those that are interested.

Anyway if nothing else just enjoy a picture of a Zed outside a pub at night lol