Should 1 side of the exhaust hang lower than the other?

Danznewty

Doubt anybody with a zed is a stranger to scraping on a speedbump but I'm at the point where it's happened to me that many times that the flexi pipe part of the exhaust, straight after the cat on the drivers side has almost worn away. No damage to the passenger side as it sits about 2 inches higher.

I took it to an exhaust garage and everyone there was stumped, there was no damage, no sign of any previous work and nobody could figure out why one branch sits so much lower than the other.

Does anybody else have 1 exhaust branch hang lower than the other? Or have any idea what could cause mine to do so?

Seems to be a common problem, I had EXCATLY the same.

I originally thought it was my exhaust hangers, now have a new exhaust and its ALMOST perfect, still out thought.

But do check rubber exhaust hangers/the metal brackets they hang, could be rusted/bent.

The garage checked the mounts and brackets and such and were happy in that respect. They said it looked like Nissan had built it with either 1 manifold or cat longer than the other. But obviously, they didn't think Nissan would do that.

Image attached of just how low it hangspost-29549-0-06098200-1474996903_thumb.jpg

Oh wow there definitely is something wrong, and no mine isn't lowered at all.

Should the original look like yours randy? With the flex joints facing towards each other? Mine run in parallel. I'm just wondering now if I've had a dodgy repair job early in the cars life, and my Y pipe is actually not the correct model for a 350z?

The garage suggested I go away and dig into the cars history a bit more as they said it would be a shame to start cutting and welding/butchering bodging on a car like this.

So can we just confirm, the oem setup should look like what randy has?

Thanks everyone so far!

Edited by Danznewty

Maybe you've got an aftermarket set up rather than an OEM set up. We'd need to see more pictures to figure it out. Post a picture of the back box as I don't think many people would go after market and not change the back box.

Is the front of the car to the left in that shot? it looks like the cats go direct into the flexi pipe, but i also think there might be a perspective issue. IF you've taken the shot from by the front wheel try taking one from by the back wheel so we can see both angles.

FYI: its much easier to upload pictures onto Photobucket and then link to them on here rather than upload them direct to this site. You only get the space to upload a handful of shots here.