Catalytic Converter Question

Dicky

Noticed a rattle under my 2004 GT (UK) and traced it to one of the cats (offside). The thin metal shield around the cat has rotted away from the flange at one end and has a couple of small rusted holes in as well.

Q1...Anyone know if this can be repaired to keep it going as it's just passed it's mot so the cat itself is good.

Q2...Would a good used one be ok or would I need a new one. If so anyone know where's the best place to try?

Q3...Is this metal shield simply a heat shield or is it to prevent water getting onto the cat itself?

its just a shield , some people remove them or secure then with a couple of jubilee clips

So it's not a water protection guard? I understand these things get pretty hot and had thought the

guard was to protect them from sudden cooling

Most just remove or secure with a weld or tying wire.

However, they are there for a reason and if removed extra heat will hit the clutch slave hose on the N/S and the fuel lines on the O/S however these areas can be protected with some form of heat reflective shield.

• Like 1

However, they are there for a reason and if removed extra heat will hit the clutch slave hose on the N/S and the fuel lines on the O/S however these areas can be protected with some form of heat reflective shield.

Thanks Alex, in fact I tied the cover down with Copper wire to stop the rattle for now. Think I'll remove it and see if I can save or extend its life with a bit of creative metal work.

Anyway it doesn't seem to be critical as yet.

As above mine were hanging off and certain rpm sounded bad, so removed and put extra foil faced heat insulation around both hoses mentioned by ZMANALEX

Insulation I used is the same that come standard on the clutch slave hose, plus have braided hose fitted so that helped with clutch line temps