My zed's first trackday tomorrow!

350_Jer

Got my first trackday in my zed tomorrow at Castle Combe :)

Did loads in my old BMW so looking forward to seeing how they compare. It's pretty much standard, all I've done since I bought it is a full service, new ds2500's all round, braided hoses and ATE high boiling point fluid, with a spare set of wheels/tyres to take, should keep it going well all day hopefully!

Yes driven Combe quite a few times, was very daunting at first I must admit, but love it now! I will definitely be taking it easy to start with and learn the car, it's going to quite a different beast compared to my old car. But very much looking forward to it!

This year ive been on Silverstone national and Rockingham infield, ive heard Combe is QUICK!! couple of 5th gear straights and not very wide either.

28psi (cold) and you'll be fine B)

Well, funny you should say that, I put 28 in my spare track tyres earlier as a kind of educated guess to start from so I'm glad you said that! :)

Combe is definitely quick, and like you said quite narrow in places. Good thing is it's less than an hour from my house too!

Have you been on Combe before?

Not a lot of run off with grass on all the corners so best take it easy till you get the feel for the Zed as it's your first outing on track in it. ;)

Just noticed you are in south Wales, did you ever take your zed round Llandow?

Yes driven Combe quite a few times, was very daunting at first I must admit, but love it now! I will definitely be taking it easy to start with and learn the car, it's going to quite a different beast compared to my old car. But very much looking forward to it!

That's good then as at least you're not a total newbie to Combe then. ;)

I love Castle Combe and have been going there since the early 90's when I used to go to race days with my old man and then started doing track days there once I'd learnt to drive.

Most dangerous part is Avon Rise as if you get that wrong, go in too fast, brake on the brow of the rise etc it can send your car spearing off towards the barriers at Quarry for a high speed impact as there is little to no run off. I've seen so many accidents there it is unreal.

Get some video if you can but if not just have fun & report back how it went. Hope you have dry weather. :thumbs:

Have you been on Combe before?

Not a lot of run off with grass on all the corners so best take it easy till you get the feel for the Zed as it's your first outing on track in it. ;)

Just noticed you are in south Wales, did you ever take your zed round Llandow?

No I didn't.

Haven't been there in years. Bit of a small uneven circuit from what I remember (probably different now/resurfaced). Still more like a large go kart track imo than a circuit but I know it can be a lot of fun as any track can be.

Should really make use of it with it being so close but just haven't. :shrug:

Edit: Took my S/c Zed on Combe though, ...got footage here:

Go careful at Camp, if it spins, don't try to correct, let it spin I field.

Brake before Avon rise to start with, when you her brave and everything is warmed up you can try braking after it. Keep far left after first chicane / S bend and hit the apex before short straight.

Enjoy and bring the car home in one piece!

Well that was a lot of fun! Zed's definitely make good track cars, in my opinion at least, definitely going to have some fun in this car!

Car behaved itself perfectly in the morning, but then went into limp mode after I'd done 3 or 4 laps. Come into the pits to let it all cool down, then good for another 3 or 4 laps! :wacko: Drove home fine, put my code reader on it, and turns out there is a crank position sensor on it's way out. Was annoying, but certainly didn't spoil the day.

Very impressed with it, love how flat it corners and how great the brakes are considering it's quite a hefty old thing :D

That's good news that you had fun & that even though it went into "limp" mode at one point it didn't spoil the day for you.

Loved driving my Zed in anger and definitely agree with you that they corner lovely. I'm sure some of that is down in part to the weight of the Zed.

Look forward to seeing some more pics if you get any of the Zed on track. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple of action shots from Llandow

30456344856_ee31017f49_c.jpg

30493016355_fe1a97efa6_c.jpg

Was very pleased with how nimble the car felt on a small tight circuit for something that's pretty heavy. The Potenza re040's were definitely running out of grip though, so a set of r888r's have been ordered ready for the start of next year's trackday season :)

• Like 1