Interior LEDs help needed

gumpy000

What do you mean by 'Interior LED's'?

If your on about the map lights etc then they are just straight swaps for the old bulbs. If you mean the 'boy racer' neon strip type lights that get put in the footwells etc. then they are supplied, 9 times out of 10, with a cigarette lighter plug on the end so just plug into a free socket.

Ok cool, I have done this in the past with the ones without connectors present. If they are rated at 12v (99% will be, especially if they specify 'car' in the title somewhere) then you can either go to Maplin (other stores available) and buy the cigarette connectors and just wire them up or you can tap into the stereo power or direct off the back of the cigarette lighter.

In all cases I also wired up and installed a rocker switch to turn them on and off as I wished. Cant comment on the battery packs as I have never used them.

• 2 weeks later...

You looking for footwell lights? I've done it and written a bit about it here - http://www.350z-uk.c...d/#entry1573425

I wired it directly into the dome lights, but some people say you shouldn't do that as apparently you could blow the BCM. I've not had any issues though.

If you've changed the dome lights for LEDs and put LEDs in the footwell the current draw will still likely be well below the original filament bulbs, so I can't see it causing any issues to the BCM ;-)

If you've changed the dome lights for LEDs and put LEDs in the footwell the current draw will still likely be well below the original filament bulbs, so I can't see it causing any issues to the BCM ;-)

Which I have indeed :)

I did manage to cause a short circuit somehow during the install though. Taught me for being lazy and not disconnecting the battery! Luckily just replaced the fuse and all was good!

Zedled.jpg

Something like this? :)

Dam.. I am liking that 😎

Fess up.. how, what... lol

Bought the silver Zed scuff panels and some blue pre wired led`s, drilled out the scuff panel indent squares and fitted led`s, concealed wiring under scuff panel and picked up supply from door switch, pink wire I think but double check.

Zedled.jpg

Something like this? :)

Dam.. I am liking that 😎

Fess up.. how, what... lol

Bought the silver Zed scuff panels and some blue pre wired led`s, drilled out the scuff panel indent squares and fitted led`s, concealed wiring under scuff panel and picked up supply from door switch, pink wire I think but double check.

Excellent.. appreciate that 😎

You looking for footwell lights? I've done it and written a bit about it here - http://www.350z-uk.c...d/#entry1573425

I wired it directly into the dome lights, but some people say you shouldn't do that as apparently you could blow the BCM. I've not had any issues though.

The risk (and it's a real one) around the BCM isn't about the current draw, it's the potential for chunky repair bills if you short it. It's happened enough times. If other, less risky, sources available, use them if you haven't already started the job.