Air con on & radiator fans

GT Driver

Hi all,

Quick question - when I turn the air con on, one of the radiator fans automatically turns on to the 'high' speed setting. I know that the fan should be turning with the air con on - but should it really be on full blast?

Is there any reason for this?

I thought the air con fans operate at a low to mid speed - but I could be wrong.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Quick question - when I turn the air con on, one of the radiator fans automatically turns on to the 'high' speed setting. I know that the fan should be turning with the air con on - but should it really be on full blast?

Is there any reason for this?

I thought the air con fans operate at a low to mid speed - but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Hi.

You are right - with just aircon the right hand fan (looking from the drivers seat) should come on slow, on its own.

But of course if the engine is warm the left hand fan should have come on slow on its own as well (so to speak).

The third choice (when the engine is HOT, whether aircon on or not...) is both on full.

But, mine don't seem to understand this any more, and just both come on full ("mode 3" according to the scanner) when either engine is warm or aircon on... so if anybody knows what I need to do to fix this I would be most pleased....

John

Something to do with the resistor perhaps.

Had the same problem with my old Civic. Only first setting and last setting worked.

I have had someone suggest that it is a "failsafe feature" and that if there is something wrong somewhere the management system "fails safe" by turning both fans on full to make sure nothing overheats. (which sounds possible...)

Someone else has suggested it may be one of the three relays in the "IPDM" that has failed ("independant power distribution manager" - I looked it up... :) ). Which also sounds possible and should be an easy fix. Snag is they are £35 each and Nissan parts want to know which one I want... and it is still a bit of a coincidence that it failed just as I changed the fans...

I took it to Colliers Nissan High Performance Centre in Yardley yesterday for a "diagnostic". They had it for three hours, charged me £86.70 and said that they did not know what it was and that I needed to book it in for a full day (additional £240) for "extensive wiring checks to the air conditioning wiring system". (which doesn't sound logical to me...)

:bang:

Help!

Edited by johnnyboy