How hot is too hot?

GeorgeB

As your running a supercharger, i presume that's why your concerned, are you still running the std gauges? i would be inclined to used a decent oil temp gauge/sensor as a minimum, the std coolant temp gauge will be rather insensitive and report normal temp for quite a wide temp range, so i would also use a good after market gauge/sensor for that too.

I would also guess that your running an intercooler, intake temps shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Oil 120c if on decent... may be 125-130c if you happy doing frequent oil changes. Coolant I would try and say below when the OEM fans come on full at 213F... 225F the poem gauge starts to rise above half way.

Sorry for F instead of C but thats what my US spec OBD reader is in...

Thanks guys,

My conversion on the 213 F - 225 F came out at 100 to 107 C.

Reason I asked was I saw mine hit 110, but that was climbing a mountain at low speed with the car reporting ambient around 35-40 (maybe a false reading but it was definitely well into the 30's). So pretty bad conditions to begin with. Just wanted to know where that was the in the scale of things.

@Tricky-Ricky

I have an aftermarket oil temp, and I was monitoring coolant via OBD.

Good to know I wasn't over the upper limit - even if I was right at it at times. As soon as we could pick up speed and descend the temps came down quickly, so no issues there.

With an SC its working all the time, so if using higher RPM in low gear your making as much boost as at a higher gear, so the result is more heat generated, so normal to see oil temps of up to 120c when really pushed, if you see more on a regular basis, then that's the time to fit an oil cooler.

oil temp needs to reach 100C or the water vapour and contaminates are not evaporated,

coolant wise the average is designed to be between 90 and 100C.

Do you have an intercooler?