Squeel under breaking

WINKJ

Hi Guys,

To get straight to the point.. under light breaking, normally at low speeds I am getting a typical "squeel" like there is a stone inbetween my pad and caliper. The caliper itself has scored marks so I am pretty sure this is the problem. However... I took the car to the stealers in Oxford where I bought it from, before they inspected the brake for stones, they decided to wash the car with a jetwash, which seemed to have removed the debris and thus squeeking stopped and they didn't need to investigate further. I was pretty happy with this at they want to charge me £180 for the privileged of removing a stone..

HOWEVER, the noise has come back. Do I bit the bullet and waste £180 or do I have other options?

Thanks

James

If you don't want to do a bit of DIY... Wheel off > remove brake pads > Break cleaner > copper grease > refit... then I guess you need to pay the money. If you try this first yourself, then at least you can see if this fixes the problem and it will take under an hour to do.

It could be that your pads are nearly worn? When were they last changed?

• Like 1

Surely you could get new pads for less than £180 anyway so you may as well do that?

Depends if you want to do it yourself? Not everyone has the inclination to break out the spanners when something is wrong. :)

Never touched breaks before - i'm sure its not rocket science but then again not something i'd fancy getting wrong. I'll do some digging on how hard it is to change the pads over as it may be as simple as cleaning the existing pad. Had less than 2 years of wear.

I had exactly the same problem. My pads were about 50% worn but I took the opertunity to upgrade them to redstuff pads.

Gave the calipers a really good clean, new pads fitted all reassembled with plenty of copper grease etc. Not had a moments bother since and was a simple enough diy job.

• 3 weeks later...

can you replace the rear pads without removing the caliper in the same way as the front?

You can, they are pretty easy to get to once the wheel is off. I did my own pads and disks on the back having no mechanical experience and have covered 2000 miles without an issue.

• 2 weeks later...