Tyres ?

bytespc

Hello peeps......as a lot of you will know I just suffered what could have been a catastrophic puncture / tear in a rear tyre and having had no input into what they where ( two years ago new wheels came with ) I took the opportunity to replace them both with Dunlop Maxx SP GT and boy what a difference, they where expensive ( eyes watering ) but they have single handedly transformed the rear of the car, now to the reason for my post.....I'm trying to find the same tyre for the fronts in 245/35/20 but they don't seem to be made ?, 255/35/20 is readily available but surely 255 front and 275 rear with throw out the traction control ?

Anywho just thought I'd throw this out there for comment / advice

• 3 months later...

On what offset rim? Whatever rim it is, you're gonna want a 30 not a 35. The 35 will make your clearance problems much worse and is 4% bigger than stock diameter (your speedo will read notably SLOW, so you'll be breaking the law without realising it, etc (assuming you stick to the rule of having a 1-3% larger rear to avoid traction control issues)). 255 30 20 is almost bang-on stock diameter.

Edited by Aashenfox

Thanks GM.

So yeh, bytespc, as I explained and StevoD acknowledges, you don't really wanna be going 4% over diameter on 20s. Especially since you were asking about arch clearance, which will be zero with a 35 on a 20 rim if you are lowered at all.

The thing about going over diameter and the speedo calibration is that now the speedo reads slow. OK it's only a little, but it only needs to be 1mph out to cause you to trip a speed camera. You'll have to remember to do 57 in 60 zones, 66 in 70 zones, etc. This is why you'll often see people UNDER diameter, but rarely over.

Enlarging overall wheel diameter also increases the strain on the drivetrain by a small amount that over thousands of miles would take its toll. Just as increasing the length of a lever gives you a better chance to snap a bolt.

Now that I've been able to read your original post. I can tell you what tires you should buy... 255 30 20 and 275 30 20. This will give you a close to ideal ratio front/rear of 2% that the traction control will like, and be less than half a percent outside stock spec overall meaning your speedo will be as inaccurate as it was when it rolled out of the factory.

Now tell me the offsets of your rims and how low you are and someone can give you a clue about the extent of any arch work you may need to fit them...if any. :)

HTH.

OK so stock height , been running 35 profile on the rear for over 2 years my ownership , previous owner had 20's as well with same size tyres no issues, had 30 profile on the front ( came with the rims, no choice supplied by garage, no idea of offsets , they fit Brembos with no spacers ) like driving on concrete blocks hence the change to 35 profile.

Phew thanks for all the input guys, the tyre place that's ordered the tyres Dunlop SportMax 2 to match the rears seem's to think I won have any issues , I've got a headache :(

If the tyre guy says its ok and you're stock height, I'm sure you'll be fine. I can certainly understand not wanting to roll on bricks (30s). If you wanna roll on 20"s, you gotta pay the price. ;)

Baller. Any chance of a pic of this car on 20s? Cheers :)