Help advice needed

Synx

Hi All,

Ok so here is my problem. I have just had new wheels put on the car. I went from standard touring alloys with Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetrics to Linea Corse Dyna 19s with Falkens.

My car (a 54 350z standard engine) used to feel really planted and stable on the road going a bit faster than speed limit. Now on the new wheels it feels loose up in the top end. It just doesn't feel as stable or stuck to the road going in a straight line.

What I would like to know is......

1. Is it the bad tyres?
  2. Is it the wrong size wheels?
  3. is the tracking out?
  4. is it a combination of the above?

I would love to know as I am seriously thinking about putting the old 'crappy' touring wheels back on as I preferred the drive then. BUT I LOVE THE LOOK OF MY NEW WHEELS!!!!

Suggestions very very much needed and welcome.

Cheers

Stephen

For anyone to be able to help you're going to have to add a bit more detail I think. For example...

• Your standard alloys: What size were they? what tyre size did you have fitted to the front & rear? what make of tyres?
  • Do you have spacers on the car?
  • Your new alloys: What size are they including offset? what tyre size are you now running front & rear? what make of tyres?

When I went from standard Rays alloys (ET30 8J 225/45/18" front & ET33 8.5J 245/45/18" rear) to Rota Grids (ET20 9.5J 245/35/19 front & ET20 10.5J 275/35/19 rear) I felt the car actually handled better with more grip albeit with some loss possibly in acceleration due to heavy wheel/tyre weight.

When fitting new tyres & alloys you really should have the tracking done btw imo. ;)

Ok so the standard touring alloys with Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2s

Fronts 225/45/R18 95Y

Rears 245/45/R18 100Y

Both with offest 30 and 18x8JJ

to Linea Corse Dyna 19s with Falken 453.

Fronts 245/35/R19 96Y

Rears 275/35/R19 100Y

Front 19 x 8.5 ET 15

Rear 19 x 10 ET 20

Any help would be great. I want my sports car back I think more than I want it to look pretty! lol Preferably I want both :D

Cheers

Tyre sizes look good to me and are identical width/profile/size that I used to run on my DE Zed without issue.

Have you checked the tyre pressures to make sure they're correct?

FYI I used to run 35PSI all round with my 19's.

Other than that I'd say get it to a decent garage were you can get 4 wheel laser alignment done. Probably cost you around £60-£100 but it's definitely worth it imo. ;)

• Like 1

Hmm ok I will get a lazer wheel alignment done. Do you think that a buckled wheel would cause what I was describing?

I take it the alloys/tyres have been balanced then?

As in you have wheel weights stuck on the inside of the alloys?? :dry: That should have been done by the tyre fitters.

A buckled wheel would have shown up when being balanced. Unless you've hit something then I'd say it was unlikely on brand new alloys. :shrug:

Yes tyres are brand new. Yes they were balanced and one wheel was a bit buckled. But not really bad! So I still put it on. Was that an error. They were second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've moved up a wheel size, so you've got less tyre sidewall to soak up the lumps and bumps in the road. It sounds to me like you're describing what naturally happens when you increase wheel size, rather than anything actually wrong.

A decent alignment should be able to give you high speed stability back, at the cost of turn-in. You should get an alignment done at least once a year, or 6 months if you travel on bad roads often.