Door Switch Panels - Update

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

Quick summary. I had a go at spray painting my door switch panels 6/8 months ago and it didn't go well. My inexperience coupled with my lack of preparation and finishing didn't produce great results.

Recently I posted a thread asking for some advice and to everyone who gave me some feedback, thank you. I gave it another go and below are the results of my endeavours. Needless to say I'm well chuffed. It's not 100% perfect, but following all the advise given, I was able to produce something that I'm pretty proud of.

I took a lot more time with the preparation. After sanding, I cleaned the panels with some alcohol to remove any grease and oil that might still be present. This certainly helped when I applied the primer as it seemed to adhere a lot better. I also left the panels to properly dry off overnight and sanded them back slightly before starting on the main coat. After applying the main coat I again left the panels to dry overnight before applying the lacquer. As I mentioned in my previous post, I do all the spraying in a shed and the last time I sprayed the panels, I left them in the shed overnight. This time after finishing each stage, I brought them into the house as it's a warmer and that seemed to help enormously with the drying process.

I shall be fitting the panels in the next day or so and will take some pics once fitted.

• 3 weeks later...

I sprayed mine in my first zed in a a similar fashion to what you did and they held up brilliantly, with this zed I just gave them a quick clean down and a few coats or Plasticote. Took 2 days to scratch it :lol:

When I get the time I'll go back to doing it properly again!