350z Rear/front Strut bar kit + Tyres - stability solution

N15MNO-Daron

Since the 350z doesnt hold corners very well.. i was considering buying a rear strut bar but then found these three products online.. theres one thats includes a 4 piece kit for £+300!! But maybe it wud solve all the stability issues?

Tell me what you think..(look a 3rd of the way down the page for the 350z 4-piece set):

http://www.invoauto.co.uk/Products/Stru ... _lower.htm

For single rear strut:

http://www.powerrevracing.com/store/ind ... ucts_id=42

For single front strut (found this on ebay):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 35188&rd=1

Want some positive feedback pls.. and from my experiences and what ive heard Z doesnt corner as good as others in same class (eg S2000, RX8, RX7, CaymanS all corner better from what ive seen on youtube and Top Gear reviews etc)

Im also aware of the tyre issue..Bridgestones being rubbish.. i will also be upgrading to Toyo's to improve grip soon.

Imo, if you want to improve handling you should get rid of Bridgestones as mentioned & look for stiffer/sportier suspension like Hotckiks or Tein etc., I think the car is quite stiff structurally already & wonder how much you would need the kit mentioned.

As far as handling of the zed if you read EVO magazine which IMO is the best motoring publication in terms of genuine informed judgements on exactly how sports cars handle in minute depth. Then the 350z comes out on top above all others in the sub £30k category & in the top 5 many a year in the overall evo car of the year. This is looking at mainly only performance & handling. ps I pay no attention to Top Gear reviews :teeth: or 5th gear for that matter, EVO magazine is the sports car bible

Depends what you want to use your car for ?, if it's a 100% track car put the stiffest dampers and springs you can on lower the ride a stick some stiff anti roll bars on...

But if you use it on the road in this form you'll have no fillings in your teeth left and possibly no kidneys worth talking about ;)

Want some positive feedback pls.. and from my experiences and what ive heard Z doesnt corner as good as others in same class (eg S2000, RX8, RX7, CaymanS all corner better from what ive seen on youtube and Top Gear reviews etc)

Im also aware of the tyre issue..Bridgestones being rubbish.. i will also be upgrading to Toyo's to improve grip soon.

To be fair bud, if you want positive feedback the basis of the comment needs to be understood. On what planet an S2000 outhandles a Zed in standard guise I'd like to know!? And a Cayman S costs twice as much, so you'd expect it to handle somewhat better....

And if you believe YouTube as your source of automotive reviews, you could end up disappointed! :headhurt:

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2 ... s/thestig/

Can't be that bad a handling car.... ;)

As some of the guys have said, Tein is meant to be a good set up. But it depends what you want. A track set up, neutral, oversteer, understeer?? :)

okok .. i guess a lot must be down to skill of driver too! i just seem to get beaten round corners everytime :surrender:

Just been looking a lot at the jap shootouts on youtube and of all the cars going round tracks just seems Z doesnt perform as well on the corners.. also there is a high quality review of the RX8 vs 350z and again RX8 was noticeably faster round the bends (but obviously not on straights)

But agreed ..maybe these youtube comparisons arent so accurate.

okok .. i guess a lot must be down to skill of driver too! i just seem to get beaten round corners everytime :surrender:

Just been looking a lot at the jap shootouts on youtube and of all the cars going round tracks just seems Z doesnt perform as well on the corners.. also there is a high quality review of the RX8 vs 350z and again RX8 was noticeably faster round the bends (but obviously not on straights)

You've kind of proven the point yourself there.... :blush:

Depending what the maker of the video wants to come out on top, they will make it look that way. Plus, you never know how good the driver is, what has been done to the cars or anything. Fact remains it goes round that TG track at the same pace as an M3. They have (apparently) 50+bhp on the Zed, so if anything, it makes the Zed a very good handling car. The RX8 might be an exceptional handling car.

If you're getting beaten round the corners, what are you being beaten in? TBH, racing on the road isn't the best idea anyway, but going to Car Limits or similar will help you understand the limit of the car and your ability in controlling it. Could be worth the investment before changing suspension? :)

But agreed ..maybe these youtube comparisons arent so accurate.

On tighter corners id imagine they are quicker but on medium to fast sweepers i didnt have problems keeping up with a 911.

Stock suspension is ok... Until you put a set of coilovers and then you see how average the suspension is....

Tyres first

Change the shocks and you will see a difference straight away.

You running JDM brakes or Brembos? Again another reason for getting beat in the twisties is down to know how late you can brake and Brembos will far outbrake JDM's. I notice you have put "Red Stuff Pads" down for an order soon. If you running JDM I would have a word with Big Phil or Envy as it may be a brake pad and disc that may help.

Anti roll bar will help too (Nismo or Cusco type ones) but only if your going to track it.

Those stiffening frames you were looking at are serious racing kit and will cost to fit, IIRC the chasis needs modifying...

You may want to get your bushings checked too as if they have split or worn this will cause you a few lateral problems.

I have changed the shocks and tyres / wheels on mine, brembos are good enough for me, next thing for me is to change the way I drive... Am booked in for a driver training day at Millbrook in May..

Oh and S2000 have come up against a few recently and they are no way as good.. Never been in a race with an RX-8 but have driven and I would like to thing the 350 is a better car,

As H5 Says Caymens cost double but in my experience its down to the drivers and how much you are willing to push and take a chance... This is meant about driving on a track not a public road...

Also it dosnt matter what you do something else is going to be faster, and lots of the time by something that dosnt look like it will beat you like a MK1 Golf... How was I to know he was running 650bhp!! But then a 300bhp car will beat a 600bhp car if driven properly!

My advice would be to take it to a good tuning place, getting them to drive it, see what they think and then start making the changes in stages..

IMO!!

Since the 350z doesnt hold corners very well.. i was considering buying a rear strut bar but then found these three products online.. theres one thats includes a 4 piece kit for £+300!! But maybe it wud solve all the stability issues?

Tell me what you think..(look a 3rd of the way down the page for the 350z 4-piece set):

http://www.invoauto.co.uk/Products/Stru ... _lower.htm

For single rear strut:

http://www.powerrevracing.com/store/ind ... ucts_id=42

For single front strut (found this on ebay):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 35188&rd=1

We keep all of the above in stock plus the Cusco and Carbing braces but to be honest this is really only for the serious track driver.

As far as suspension goes whilst Tein are very good the KW variant 3 is a far better performer.

KW spent a substantial amount of time with a 350Z at the Nurburgring testing to find the optimum setup.

The KW has a much wider range of setup available and can be tailored totally to driver style.

Better ride quality than standard but really shows the strength of the 350's chassis when pushing on, all made in stainless steel, highly reccommended not just by us but loyts of happy customers.

Thanks for the feedback.. def gona upgrade the tyres, already got brembos, but red stuff pads from Bigphil i hope will help with my braking distance.

KW or Tein suspension are very expensive.. wouldnt it be cheaper to get the anti roll bars instead?

Anyone know a good website for some training courses to find out the car's limits safely?

IMO changes in performance must start with the driver. You need to be taught how to push the Zed to it's limits to experience it's limits of grip and cornering ability and what to expect in those conditions. From that point you will be able understand if you want or need to improve. This can be accomplish by taking performance driver lessons (I did mine with CAT training as Coiln was one of the drivers employed by Nissan to fully test the Zed in Germany) and this will open your eyes into the Zed's capabilities.The next stage is then to improve the braking performance. Again following fitting take further lessons to explore the full potential of your buy. Thirdly I would then go down the route of replacing the suspension with new ie, KW or Tein etc backed with futher education. Forthly then go down the route of further stiffening if you need but there will always be a trade off between still being road usable and a track setup.

I cannot stress the importance of the driver training in the right environment to fully experience your Zed and the changes that your make to it. Best of all its bloody good fun while learning!!!! :teeth:

IMO changes in performance must start with the driver. You need to be taught how to push the Zed to it's limits to experience it's limits of grip and cornering ability and what to expect in those conditions. From that point you will be able understand if you want or need to improve. This can be accomplish by taking performance driver lessons (I did mine with CAT training as Coiln was one of the drivers employed by Nissan to fully test the Zed in Germany) and this will open your eyes into the Zed's capabilities.The next stage is then to improve the braking performance. Again following fitting take further lessons to explore the full potential of your buy. Thirdly I would then go down the route of replacing the suspension with new ie, KW or Tein etc backed with futher education. Forthly then go down the route of further stiffening if you need but there will always be a trade off between still being road usable and a track setup.

I cannot stress the importance of the driver training in the right environment to fully experience your Zed and the changes that your make to it. Best of all its bloody good fun while learning!!!! :teeth:

Agree with you there mate, got a group day going on with Cat in April / May time. Cant wait!!