Both Rears Ticking Regularly

Rook

I'm pretty certain this isn't the axle clicking, as I've had this before and resolved it, and it made a different noise and under different conditions.

With that in mind here's what I know.

I've heard for ages when driving along the motorway near the barrier on the driver's side with the window down I could hear a quiet, perfectly regular tick tick tick tick tick.

The ticking was quiet, metallic, continuous, and varied with speed only. Braking didn't affect it, depressing the clutch didn't affect it, wet or dry, hot or cold.

The rears recently started making all manner of unpleasant scrapes and clicks, so I changed my rear discs and pads and the old ones were utterly destroyed. No more horrible scrapes and clicks.

The tick remains. Today it suddenly got louder, and I can hear it even when going very slowly. Comes from both rears, sounds like someone dropping a ball bearing in a tin can, but higher pitch.

Only thing that's changed between yesterday and today is that I put the rear spacers back on.

Can't recreate with the car jacked up :/

Anyone any suggestions as to where to start?

I found what it is!

It turns out the locking wheel nut isn't long enough for the studs on my spacers, so it wasn't seated right.

Slightly terrifying that I didn't notice that and have had a wheel but there purely for aesthetic value for the last few weeks, thankfully the wheels have been off a few times lately and I've retightened them as a matter of course.

So instead of being embarrassed and not admitted that I done messed up, I'm gunna just use this as a friendly reminder to check the depth of your nuts and always make sure they're tight!

Still a bit rattled to be honest, can only imagine what could have happened if I hadn't noticed before it was too late...

• Like 3

Well saying that, in discarding them for new ones.

I've tightened the hell out of those (by hand) and so I've been forcing the top of the stud against the back off the head of the locking nut.

Any kind of stress like that with the expansion and contraction these parts can experience, those nuts are probably severely weakened compared to new, I wouldn't be surprised if any tighter or any longer and the head of the nut could shear off.

I'm in the market for some new wheel nuts haha. I have mismatched nuts of front and rear now, stock on the rear and some new (ugly) ones I bought to replace them on the front.

All safe and secure now, the stock nuts have plenty of clearance, it's just the stock locking nuts that don't.

Anyone got opinions on open ended ones? I quite like the look of them...