Short Shifter & Engine Damper

Oversteer

Had fitted B&M short shifter on mine. Terrible experience in my case. Shifter had some rattle noise in specific rpm's which really went on my nervs. Also i noticed Zed doesn't like fast gear changes. In my case after i returned OEM shifter with heavier aftermarket knob everything was perfect again

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had fitted B&M short shifter on mine. Terrible experience in my case. Shifter had some rattle noise in specific rpm's which really went on my nervs. Also i noticed Zed doesn't like fast gear changes. In my case after i returned OEM shifter with heavier aftermarket knob everything was perfect again

Thanks Snjur! With other cars, on other forums, some people report possible premature gearbox/synchro wear with short shifters, but I've also heard a lot who say it's a great improvement. Funnily enough, I've just put a weighted gear knob on this evening, so will see how I get on with that first!

From what I can make out, there doesn't seem to be any negatives with engine dampers, save for the outlay! I wonder whether those who've fitted them have noticed a difference?

Seems like a good way to reduce engine movement without going down the urethane / solid mounts route, from which there's generally a subsequent increase in NVH.

Edited by Oversteer

I've had a Swift Sport modified to turbo with original Suzuki rally short shifter. It was completely different experience than Zed. It was shifting gears perfectly it was joy to use the gear stick. But with Zed i can't say that. Plus I've also done some research for synchros and i didn't want to take chance. Buddy of mine told me this as he also had removed his SS from his twin turbo Greddy 350z for same issues. He also talked me out from engine dumper saying it transfer more vibration to chassis in his case

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Edited by Snjur

From what I can make out, there doesn't seem to be any negatives with engine dampers, save for the outlay! I wonder whether those who've fitted them have noticed a difference?

My old Zed fyi was supercharged (436Bhp@fly) and although I did buy a Stillen engine damper I never ended up getting it fitted, ...honestly it'll be a waste of money imo for you to buy one Oversteer. I never needed it and just let my Zed run on it's OEM engine mounts which was fine even with it being FI.

Personally if you want to improve the drive for the gearbox maybe think about having the oil changed if it hasn't been done already by the previous owner and maybe even the diff oil as well.

I noticed an improvement just with this alone on my Zed, ...used to be difficult going from 1st-2nd and from 5th-6th but after the gearbox oil change with added Molyslip there were no more gear change issues. ;)

A so called engine damper will do nothing but transmit more vibration and noise through the bodywork, most consist of a shaft with a lump of hard rubber either side of a nut, which is held within a tube, if you must fit one then at least find a genuine oil or gas filled damper and fabricate some mounts, the only cars I have know to have this type of damper fitted are older BMWs.

• Like 1

My old Zed fyi was supercharged (436Bhp@fly) and although I did buy a Stillen engine damper I never ended up getting it fitted, ...honestly it'll be a waste of money imo for you to buy one Oversteer. I never needed it and just let my Zed run on it's OEM engine mounts which was fine even with it being FI.

Personally if you want to improve the drive for the gearbox maybe think about having the oil changed if it hasn't been done already by the previous owner and maybe even the diff oil as well.

I noticed an improvement just with this alone on my Zed, ...used to be difficult going from 1st-2nd and from 5th-6th but after the gearbox oil change with added Molyslip there were no more gear change issues. ;)

Thanks GMballistic, thought it looked like a good idea but sounds like I'm better off putting the funds towards tyres! Gear & diff oil were done recently, was just thinking it might just be an added bonus (and seemed like a sweet add-on!)

A so called engine damper will do nothing but transmit more vibration and noise through the bodywork, most consist of a shaft with a lump of hard rubber either side of a nut, which is held within a tube, if you must fit one then at least find a genuine oil or gas filled damper and fabricate some mounts, the only cars I have know to have this type of damper fitted are older BMWs.

Thanks Tricky-Ricky, I saw one fitted to an Integra and it looked very cool and believed the marketing bumpf on the Stillen website! I'd assumed it would be gas or oil filled but it did mention it was a 'long-lasting' solution, suggesting it may not be. More money for the things that are needed!