VOIP

Digsy

Can anyone recommend a VOIP provider - needs to be good enough for business use. Currently using DrayTel but not happy. Surprisingly the things I was worried about - quality and reliability - are fine but the virtual PBX isn't up to much. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbs:

I'm just drawing up a project plan for a 300k VoIP project - we'll be mirroring a solution already in place in our Corporate office in Canada, several thousand handsets over there, will be only about 500 at my sites. We use Cisco kit and the Cisco Call Manager.

Was talking to the VoIP guys this week and they reckon its ultra reliable.

Can anyone recommend a VOIP provider - needs to be good enough for business use. Currently using DrayTel but not happy. Surprisingly the things I was worried about - quality and reliability - are fine but the virtual PBX isn't up to much. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbs:

Whats the scale of your intended system Digsy?

Cisco, way to over engineered then.

Just use something the broadband provider has recommended if you have such small offfices.

If you have Nokia WLAN mobiles, Treo's and Linksys then something like Gizmo will work on all of those devices.

Xlite is an easy and very compatible bit of software, not the best i/face on free status but works on most generic setups.

http://www.voipuser.org/ can help you with your browsing.

Why not use Skype? Its pretty much free.

Loads of horror stories - it really isn't suitable for business use. Just before Xmas tons of people simply had their numbers taken off them... :scare:

ah i didnt know that, i use it at work all the time and its perfectly fine, but that is probably because i dont have a number with it, just an account that i use for conference calls etc...

Your looking for a hosted IPT solution by the sounds of it, what area of the country you in? I deall with some of the big boys but also know some of the little ones that may do a package to suit your needs.

Mark

Liverpool. :thumbs:

Hi Digsy,

Just had a word with a few of the techies, there is a company called THUS who are trialing a Managed IPT service for Small Business, they are a pretty big carrier but they have realised the potential for the getting the "little" guys on board. Will PM you there number when I get it.

Unfortunatly the smaller guys round South East wouldnt be great for you as they are too far away!

I belive that THUS's network is based on a Cisco Call Manager hosted network with multiple clusters so very little chance of fail. Its a case of plugging your Cisco phone in to a network point, it then uses IPT by proxy and then your phones are all in there own private network and you then go out using THUS's voice gateway.

Will let you know when I have more....

I'd also like to know. I'm in South Oxfordshire and currently using Draytel but get quite a bit if quality problems.

Digsy, are you using a Draytek Router?

Cheers

JohnK

Hi John!

I know of a "little" guy that should be able to help you in your neck of the woods!! How many handsets are you looking at?

Mark

NTL offer a managed solution I seem to remember from a few years back, or Virgin they are now.

They feck most things up but hey its another option for you. Was quite low cost IIRC. Probably find BT can offer a rental hosted solution as well.

Hi Digsy,

Just had a word with a few of the techies, there is a company called THUS who are trialing a Managed IPT service for Small Business, they are a pretty big carrier but they have realised the potential for the getting the "little" guys on board. Will PM you there number when I get it.

Unfortunatly the smaller guys round South East wouldnt be great for you as they are too far away!

I belive that THUS's network is based on a Cisco Call Manager hosted network with multiple clusters so very little chance of fail. Its a case of plugging your Cisco phone in to a network point, it then uses IPT by proxy and then your phones are all in there own private network and you then go out using THUS's voice gateway.

Will let you know when I have more....

Much appreciated, Mark. :thumbs: