"Whats this hose for"

saint

I just installed a Z-tube and I'm wondering what the hose that sits underneath the air intake tube is for - the one that goes to the back of the block. I recall my Celica had the same, and a genuine mod was to shove a bung in it.

Also, what would happen if it became loose? Since Berk didn't see fit to give me install instructions I was unaware the tube exists and I accidentally yanked it from the block. Let me tell you that putting it back is a SERIOUS pain in the arse! I'm guessing its meant to be connected with the throttle removed, and or the plenum. I managed to get a screw jubilee clip on it instead of the crappy spring loaded ones Nissan give you, but still I couldn't get it as tight as I'd like.

tl;dr - will my engine go boom?

Crank breather.

If it's loose, you may get air leakage which will enter the system after the MAF which will screw up the mixture.

[edit] and yes it is a bit of a PITA to fit.

AFAIK its not legal to vent this to the atmosphere any more for emissions reasons. I stand to be corrected but it might be an MOT fail on the emission system. Others will know better about that. You can pipe it off to an oil catch can so the sticky mess doesn't go back into the combustion (as well as gunking up the throttle) but either way the connection to the block is going to have to be good - and airtight doesn't mean so tight you could crush a small animal, only airtight :)

Edited by Toon Chris
  • Like 1

The Nissan OEM spring clip is definitely the best for this hose which connects up to the rear of the cam cover.

I doubt I can get enough leverage on the clip unless I take the throttle off, which I'm not up to trying yet. Berk provided a screw jubilee clip which I can possibly get some pliers on. It was intended for the intake end of the hose but it fit just fine on the crank end