Do I need new boot struts?

Mikevv

Hi guys, tonight my Z gave me a nice whack on the head when I was putting some jumpers in the back on my way to work/dropping the other half home.

I've always struggled to open the boot if I don't have two hands free, I'm having to push the button and quickly switch to try and lift it as soon as I can before it falls back n can't be opened without pushing the button again - This has resulted in frustration and I'm worried soon enough I might damage my paint by ramming my hands there.

I thought it was normal until my car tried to give me a concussion - Now the 3rd time in just as many weeks! Could it just be the extreme cold affecting the struts, or are they just generally knackered?

This is the first Z I've owned and opened the boot of, the other one I drove before buying my one was a dog inside and out, just wanted to use it as a test to see what they drive like, didn't bother opening things n checking what the space is like inside cubbies/boot etc as I wasn't ever going to buy it.

It seems to me that the boot only opens far enough to fit a finger or so inside to try and lift, and even then It seems quite hesitant to open, like I'm fighting against the struts themselves - almost like a resistance???

Having seen the SGS struts, I don't quite fancy paying out £50 if it won't fix the problem!!

On a side note, do the SGS struts with a lip spoiler and Nismo spoiler have different ratings? Presumably the Nismo ones are stronger, so if I fit them while only having the OEM lip spoiler will my boot open really easily?

Thanks for the help - sorry for the rambles, mildly concussed ;)

Edit: added a video of someone else having the same opening problem as me - Around the 6:35 mark

I don't know for sure if this is definitely an issue, or just the way the 350z boot works, but I hate it ;)

Edited by Mikevv

I struggled with mine for ages and eventually replaced them for the SGS nismo uprated ones as I have the nismo spoiler. Though I find that I still have to use both hands pressing the button and lifting the boot up at the same time, I think due to the weight and possibly the popper springs being knackered. But it doesn't drop on my head anymore and stays firmly open, so I think replacing yours will do the trick. Not sure weather you should get the uprated ones though maybe someone else can help.

The pop and the fall are different problems.

When you open it, the struts aren't doing anything to assist the pop, the angle is all wrong for them to lift the boot open at that point. If it's coming down on the back of your head once fully open, go for some new struts, they stopped it for me nearly 3 years ago and it hasn't happened once since.

To fix the problem with it not popping open enough, search for the penny trick on here but suggest using rubber washers not pennies, as they are more friendly to the paintwork. You can buy new poppers (which I've done in the past) but they only cured it for a matter of months on my Zed.

• Like 4

I struggled with mine for ages and eventually replaced them for the SGS nismo uprated ones as I have the nismo spoiler. Though I find that I still have to use both hands pressing the button and lifting the boot up at the same time, I think due to the weight and possibly the popper springs being knackered. But it doesn't drop on my head anymore and stays firmly open, so I think replacing yours will do the trick. Not sure weather you should get the uprated ones though maybe someone else can help.

Thanks for the input :) Maybe I should look at getting a new popper/springs then? As that seems to be the main issue, and wait a while to see if the boot decapitates me or not over the next few weeks ;)

The pop and the fall are different problems.

When you open it, the struts aren't doing anything to assist the pop, the angle is all wrong for them to lift the boot open at that point. If it's coming down on the back of your head once fully open, go for some new struts, they stopped it for me nearly 3 years ago and it hasn't happened once since.

To fix the problem with it not popping open enough, search for the penny trick on here but suggest using rubber washers not pennies, as they are more friendly to the paintwork. You can buy new poppers (which I've done in the past) but they only cured it for a matter of months on my Zed.

Literally replied at the same time! I think I'll try the new poppers for a while, and when it fails just use the (rubber) penny trick :)

Thank you, didn't know about the penny trick till now :D

If I were you, I'd get the SGS struts on there and never worry about the boot decapitating you again. The few pence for rubber washers and the penny trick shouldn't break the budget :lol: and you'll have fixed both issues for less than £60 (that's as cheap as fixes get on the Zed).

You can always remove some weight using this guide - http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/71353-how-to-wiper-removal-delete/

The boot weight/damper is a fair chunk of weight and the wiper arm and motor might shave a part of a KG.

• Like 2

If I were you, I'd get the SGS struts on there and never worry about the boot decapitating you again. The few pence for rubber washers and the penny trick shouldn't break the budget :lol: and you'll have fixed both issues for less than £60 (that's as cheap as fixes get on the Zed).

You can always remove some weight using this guide - http://www.350z-uk.c...removal-delete/

The boot weight/damper is a fair chunk of weight and the wiper arm and motor might shave a part of a KG.

When the weather clears up ( haha this is England....) I will have a crack at the boot weight and penny trick - Washing the road dirt and salts off my car takes priority at the moment, and moneys a bit tight this month having had Christmas and near £800 of servicing in December, as well as having to retax my car lol. Maybe I can convince the GF she needs a new "strut" in her "boot" for Valentines day??? hahaha

penny trick is simple, makes popping the boot a one handed operation. costs 6p.

struts are affected by the cold, icy weather means the struts have no strength at all. better in the summer when it warms up.

I got into the habit of holding the boot open with my head in the colder months :lol:

penny trick is simple, makes popping the boot a one handed operation. costs 6p.

struts are affected by the cold, icy weather means the struts have no strength at all. better in the summer when it warms up.

I got into the habit of holding the boot open with my head in the colder months :lol:

Pffft OP don't go where he went. Mine only cost 4p.