Someone just threw rocks at my car!

rich9001

Ok, well, maybe thats not quite true, I was on the A1 and could see a salt spreader ahead of me (middle lane!) doing around 50mph. Do I stay well back behind it for the next 6miles? slowly creep past? or bury the go pedal? Decisions decisions.

So anyway, I took my chance and went for it. I could have cried hearing all that salt bouncing off my bodywork :angry: :angry: .

I was following one on the m1, stayed well back out the way, still a few bits getting kicked up by other cars but no way I'd be getting up close and driving by. I could see a whole cloud of grit in the air behind the spreader :o.

When I expect spreaders to be out and about I just keep my eyes peeled for the flashers and if I see one in the distance heading my way just dive down a side street - not too quickly obviously.

Back off, leave a clear space in front of you, then get past as quickly as conditions allow.

That said, it's only a bit of grit, it won't kill the car. No, I wouldn't sit behind one for miles and miles, but it's no worse than the stones normal traffic pings up at your car every single day.