Would Tein S-tech's be a nicer ride than APEX?

Edster

Hi,

I bought my 350z with APEX springs on it (19 inch wheels). It feels like it really grips the road, but on bumby roads the ride is really harsh. I was wondering whether anyone has had APEX springs and S-Techs, and whether S-techs would be noticeably softer?

Thanks

That'll be the wheels as much as the springs. All aftermarket springs are stiffer than stock, and I don't believe the Teins are particularly harsh.

With 19" wheels you get extra unsprung mass that needs to move at every bump in the road, plus you have less tyre sidewall to absorb the compressions. Changing springs to the softest ones you can find will only affect the ride marginally, and of course they're the OEM ones which will also raise the car up. Ultimately it's a choice between living with a car that looks good or one that rides well.

You could replace all dampers and springs with something like the KW v3, but then we're in a whole new world of budget. Cheaper options like the BC (which I really like, and run them on all my cars) won't really help as they're still stiffer than stock but not as compliant as the KW.

Thanks for the information, I can see what you mean about the larger wheels. I'm just contemplating whether it would be worth giving the Tein's a go. I think the KWs and BCs are a bit out of my price range, but I appreciate the info. It might be better when I get some better tyres, I think the ones currently on it are quite cheap. My PSI are all at 35, so I will try going down to 32 - would be great if that solved it. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Edster, is the ride harsh or is it more that its harsh and springy / bouncy? Depending on mileage your dampers might be knackered after running on the shorter springs (so moving to Teins might only be marginally better as you still might not be able to dampen the spring effectively).

Mine has 45k on it and the Apex springs have only been on a few k, while they are firmer they're really not that much firmer over anything but the biggest of potholes. However I test drove a car with more miles that was Eibachs and it was awful (to clarify I'm saying this was not the fault of the spring at all but the dampers had clearly gone). Just food for thought before spending more money and time on springs as they may not be the cause.

I've also run both 18's and 19's on this set up and found that tyre make (as in hard / soft sidewalls) / pressure can make a huge difference, as much as the actual size change.

FYI - I found I liked 34f/32r (psi) on my falkens worked nicely on the Apex springs running a 19x8.5/9.5 staggered setup but its worth experimenting for yourself.

Hello Matt, I really appreciate the information. I would probably describe the ride is very juddery – it sort of bounces up and down really quickly like a go-kart. Just going over small pot holes, lumps, road markings etc is really noticeable. Unfortunately, I have not driven another Z, so I’ve got nothing to compare it to, and I didn’t drive this one before the suspension was changed. It is certainly the harshest ride I've driven (and I had a lowered Nova GTE when I was younger!). Is there any easy way to check whether the dampers are okay?

Thanks again

How many miles has your Z done ?

As I agree with the other guys, jack the car up, remove the wheels, dampers and springs to see how quickly the piston rod in the damper extends out.

My ones were all completely knackered, once compressed they really didn't ever extend out !

Lol, I'm such a muppet!

I checked the tyre's after Alex's first reply using my dad's old compressor (about 15 years old). They were just shy of 35, so I dropped them all to 33.

Anyway, I've been carrying this Mark & Spencer's Tyre pressure gauge key-ring in my car (unopened Xmas present), but never bothered opening it until now. Checked my tyres with it and they were all at 39.5 PSI !!! Dropped them all to 32 and it runs sweet. Still a little bumpy, but loads better. Okay, the gauge might be a bit in-accurate, but I will check it at a garage tomorrow.

No wonder driving has been such an ordeal in this bad weather. It's been wheel spinning in 3rd loads in the rain! That means the tyres must have been over 40 PSI when the dealership serviced it.

Sorry to waste your time with my stupidity, I should have checked them properly. However, it now feels like I have a new car!!!

Thank you so much for your replies!!

Car has done 59,000 mile Rob

• Like 1

Yeah will do Rob,.. as soon as I can figure how to get the damn wheels off! They're on spacers with bolts and they're real tight. I cant tell whether they are clockwise or anticlockwise bolts.

Definitely worth getting them checked tho. thanks

Lefty loosey, righty tighty. Or, clockwise-close.

Your M&S gauge may not be any more accurate than the old compressor, y'know. What you need to do is not get fixated with numbers, but rather use them as a baseline and stay with one specific measuring device so at least you're consistent. For example, your Dad's compressor one might be reading 10psi over, but it doesn't really matter. Just make adjustments based on that, so if it's too high then lower the pressures but stick to that one device.

• Like 1

Thanks Ekona, yeah I checked the tyre pressures this morning and they were actually at 29 PSI. I put them up to 32, but that ride has gone a bit harsher again. Do you think 29 PSI is too low(the ride felt great)? - I have 19inch 245/35 at the front and 19inch 275/0 at the back. Wondering whether to stagger them like Matt said.

Thanks for the info about the spacer and bolts. Someone told me they could go either way depending on what spacer is used, but you seem to know your stuff. think I ill need to put a pole on the wrench to get these tings loose.

That's my point: The numbers are irrelevant, it's the scale you're using that needs to be consistent. If you feel that 32 is too harsh, then no issues making them 29 if it suits you. Just keep an eye on your tyre wear and adjust accordingly. :) Tyre pressures are determined by make and model of the tyre, not the wheel size: What are you running?

In theory the spacer thing is correct, they could run the other way I guess, but I've yet to come across any that do. Either way you're going to have to take a chance if you don't know for sure, so I'd definitely be going the same way as the hub bolts go for a starter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cougar fitted me some Tein's a couple of weeks ago. I'm very pleased with the result. They're definitely softer and have improved the ride by about 25% - 50%. No more scraping on speed bumps either. There is a little bit more roll on sharp bends, but the handling generally seems better and more nimble. I'm sure they would have told me if they thought with the dampers were bad. Everything seems good now, happy days!

• Like 1