potential buyer with question

bigfoot

Hiya,

I'm considering buying a 370z and was hoping to get some advice of you guys,

I'm looking at buying about a 2010 plate with the auto box instead of a manual mainly because I'm getting lazy as i get older.

Which is were i need advice about the auto gearbox,

I've always driven a manual apart from a 54 plate Audi TT 3.2L V6 with the DSG auto box i owned a few years ago,

Which i found to be a great gearbox, I've read up on the 370z and know the auto isn't a double clutch type.

Are there any owners with the auto box who can advise me about the 370z auto as i love big V6 engines but dont want to feel disappointed if the auto box doesnt match up to the engine.

Yes i know a test drive myself will answer my question but its good to get other owners opinions too.

Thanks.

I think that you have answered your own question and a 24 hour test drive at your dealership would be a priority to judge if the car is for you.

However always good to get feedback from other owners and hopefully a few will be along shortly with there words of wisdom. :thumbs:

I have had a couple of DSG's the VAG 7 and 6 speed ones, the auto in the 370 has pros and cons with it . It is smoother when pulling away than a dsg box but not so smooth going through the gears, in heavy traffic its much better than a dsg imo. Much more reliable than the dsg though with lower repair costs

Its an excellent 'box imo, you get a 7 speed rather than 6 like the manual , the flappy paddles do really transform the car when you use them with a nice blip when you down shift, like the dsg you can override the auto at any time when driving if you want to overtake and don't want to wait for kickdown. Unlike some tiptronic autos the car will not shift up unless you tell it to, it will however shift down to prevent the engine from stalling.

The auto version is ridiculously over geared, the rev limit in 7th with give a theoretical top speed of 240mph +so it makes for very relaxed cruising and pretty good on fuel , there is little or no penalty economy wise like many auto v manual versions

The gearbox can be tweaked a little with an UPREV map which can make a decent amount of difference especially to the responsiveness

After owning a manual 350z I wouldnt have considered the manual 370z , it had to be auto

The GT Edition and I think most 2012 onwards cars also come with a snow mode which helps traction no end when grip is compromised, not just in snow but wet grass or mud can be troublesome

Good video showing how the cars shift under power

Edited by Richf

I had one on loan once when mine was in for work. my first I thought this is brilliant why didn't I get auto

And then I got my manual back and realised I love driving the car fully

If autos what you prefer I can say it was nice to drive

It gave me the gears when I wanted them and seemed to rev out nice in auto mode when getting on a bit

Like Alex says a good test drive will decide things for you

Thanks Richf for your reply,

This is what i was looking for accurate advice from people who own and drive the 370z,

I've watched and read many of the reviews but they only drive them for a bit then give them back.

Ive had mine two years now and although I fancy a change its really hard to find a worthy replacement

The the Z is my 1st auto car and I love it if u fancy a good blast use the paddles or shifter then back into auto for a nice relaxing drive, you'll be needing an exhaust upgrade to go with that Z though 😆

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Robchriscross,

Definitely clearing up my auto concerns,

Ok i know nothing really about the Z so this may be a daft question but why do they need an exhaust upgrade,

Is the standard exhaust restricted so an upgrade will release more power ?

The the Z is my 1st auto car and I love it if u fancy a good blast use the paddles or shifter then back into auto for a nice relaxing drive, you'll be needing an exhaust upgrade to go with that Z though 😆

Thanks Robchriscross,

Ok i know nothing really about the Z so this may be a daft question but why do they need an exhaust upgrade,

It's just very quiet pal I managed a fortnight b4 I took the plunge a got some axle backs fitted

Thanks Robchriscross,

No, it doesn't need it but you will want it. As for the auto box. I didn't want another auto box, but the paddle shift on these are the nuts. Go for it.

Jon

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the replies,

I got you now about the exhaust,

I will get Christmas and the new year out of the way and start properly looking for a z,

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Edited by bigfoot