Depreciation

Digsy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon I've lost the equivalent every year on cars as my hubbie burns in fags so who cares! seriously though, I have never kept cars very long, always moving onto the next thing before I lose too much money but never having a car long enough to even want to change the stereo, this time I'm going to keep it longer and to hell with the depreciation.

Ok guys, how much do you reckon a non-GT Zed doing no more than 10k miles a year would have depreciated at the 18 month mark? Your answers may help me make a decision. ;)

Hmmmmmmmm

This is the first non GT pack zed on pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/311375.htm

£17k but it is 3 yrs old and a bit overpriced imo.

An 18 month old car right now is a 06 plate almost 56. There was a blue 07 non GT posted on here for £20k ish. Based on that I would hazard at a guess of about £18k for an 06 non GT zed based on a new price of £26,265.

I assume your weighing up whether to have the GT pack?

Ok guys, how much do you reckon a non-GT Zed doing no more than 10k miles a year would have depreciated at the 18 month mark? Your answers may help me make a decision. ;)

Hmmmmmmmm

An 18 month old car right now is a 06 plate almost 56. There was a blue 07 non GT posted on here for £20k ish. Based on that I would hazard at a guess of about £18k for an 06 non GT zed based on a new price of £26,265.

Nope. I'm weighing up whether to cancel my new car order as delivery doesn't seem to be getting any nearer. :dry:

Hmmmmmmmm

Nope. I'm weighing up whether to cancel my new car order as delivery doesn't seem to be getting any nearer. :dry:

So, whats depreciation got to do with you cancelling your order? Surely if they're taking the ****, they are taking the ****. :blush:

Hmmmmmmmm

So, whats depreciation got to do with you cancelling your order? Surely if they're taking the ****, they are taking the ****. :blush:

Not directly related but I'm leasing the car to free up cash for the business. We've got off to a flying start, which is great but will mean cashflow becomes very tight around next Spring/Summer. The increased turnover means I could actually do with spending a bit less on the car to give me some more flexibility when things get tight so I've been thinking about cancelling the order, something I can do without penalty given the delays. Back to the original question, the depreciation was just to give me an idea about how good my original deal was in comparison to buying. Pretty good actually!

Decisions, decisions!

Hmmmmmmmm

Not directly related but I'm leasing the car to free up cash for the business. We've got off to a flying start, which is great but will mean cashflow becomes very tight around next Spring/Summer. The increased turnover means I could actually do with spending a bit less on the car to give me some more flexibility when things get tight so I've been thinking about cancelling the order, something I can do without penalty given the delays. Back to the original question, the depreciation was just to give me an idea about how good my original deal was in comparison to buying. Pretty good actually!

Decisions, decisions!

Without knowing the specifics, surely there can't be much in it per month to buy the car e.g finance than leasing it? Hard to tell with out all the info.... :)

Hmmmmmmmm

Decisions, decisions!

Without knowing the specifics, surely there can't be much in it per month to buy the car e.g finance than leasing it? Hard to tell with out all the info.... :)

The big difference is that lack of capital tied in a lease vehicle and the ease of disposal. :)

Hmmmmmmmm

Decisions, decisions!

The big difference is that lack of capital tied in a lease vehicle and the ease of disposal. :)

Fair enough, but 18 X £____ = dead money imo :)

Lease against buy - I was also considering that but when you work it out - if your gonna keep the car for at least 4 - 5 years then may as well buy it and not worry about the depreciation just enjoy it at least its yours to keep?

If your gonna change your car a lot and do high miles then maybe lease is better but ... I keep thing thinking also its dead money really? :wacko::headhurt:

Stan

Lease against buy - I was also considering that but when you work it out - if your gonna keep the car for at least 4 - 5 years then may as well buy it and not worry about the depreciation just enjoy it at least its yours to keep?

If your gonna change your car a lot and do high miles then maybe lease is better but ... I keep thing thinking also its dead money really? :wacko::headhurt:

Stan

My thing, would be that after 18 months of leasing you have nothing to show for your money, e.g no car to sell or px against the next one..... :)

Guest prescience

Stan

My thing, would be that after 18 months of leasing you have nothing to show for your money, e.g no car to sell or px against the next one..... :)

Same as renting a house I guess - some prefer to do that whilst others mortgage themsleves to the hilt, pretending they can afford what they can't. Incidentally for what, when is that investment ever realised whilst you're alive :wacko:

Same as renting a house I guess - some prefer to do that whilst others mortgage themsleves to the hilt, pretending they can afford what they can't. Incidentally for what, when is that investment ever realised whilst you're alive :wacko:

Never thought about house buying in those terms before Dorian.., very thought provoking.... :)

Stan

Granted, but in todays market renting is often as expensive if not more so than buying ;)

Also, from a biz persective, if the car was bought then the balance will be reducing month by month. And, If business dictates then the car could be sold to realise the capital (albeit that the monthly payments would continue) :)