UK winter weather

Indyzed

Just wondering what a typical winter is like in the UK. Average temps, snowfall, rain, etc. For that matter, what is summer like? My view of London weather is lots of clouds and misery year 'round.

I googled average snowfall for London and the site I picked said London doesn't really see much snow because it is so densly populated and the heat generated from this melts the snow before it hits the ground. What say you?

well we got snow here in Yorkshire today but to be honest we don't get it that often, maybe a few days a year, hopefully this will be the first and last! We are poorly equipped for it and for some reason the whole country grinds to a halt after a few flakes!

You can get hot sunny weather in April - like last year or it could be freezing cold and has even snowed!

It rained for the whole of june and july just about last year but sometimes it can be glorious. It really is the most unpredictable place weather wise and that is the most irritating thing about it!

Kind of depends where you are.

In SouthWest we get grey skies, wet, fogs on hills and mists down on the levels, some frosts and little to no snow.

Rains here about 2' 8" in total in a year.

So, slippy roads that are really filthy with it being a farming and tourist area. Never put on winter tyres so we just slide about if the weather is bad.

Of course we like to think of it as Sunny and a lot brighter than those in Scotland.

In SouthWest we get grey skies, wet, fogs on hills and mists down on the levels, some frosts and little to no snow.

So, slippy roads that are really filthy with it being a farming and tourist area. Never put on winter tyres so we just slide about if the weather is bad.

Of course we like to think of it as Sunny and a lot brighter than those in Scotland.

That's a crap load of rain. Makes sense though. When I watch a movie or see scenery of the UK it's always so green and lush.

That's quite interesting about snow. The UK is much higher from the equator than where I live yet we get pummeled every year with snow. Right now we have 20" on the ground and it's 12 degrees outside. This weekend it's suppose to get into the 50's and rain. It does get crazy here as Lake Michigan fuels our weather :rant:

We average 80" of snow per winter.

its mostly..........grim :dry:

That sucks. The UK has some of the most beautiful landscape there is. I guess if the weather were delighful you'd have 10 times the congestion you currently have.

My brother lives in suburban Atlanta, Georgia and their weather is absolutely delighful. Over 120 days a year of full sun. The summer is quite hot but the rest of the year it's quite moderate and comfortable. I hate him :teeth:

I live in beautiful picturesque Blackburn :lol:

In the heart of Lancashire, the birthplace of the British Cotton Industry. The cotton industry sprang up in this area because it's so damp round here, the constant rain makes the cotton less likely to fray and easier to handle.

Of course it would have been great if I'd realised this BEFORE I moved here :headhurt:

That's a crap load of rain. Makes sense though. When I watch a movie or see scenery of the UK it's always so green and lush.

That's quite interesting about snow. The UK is much higher from the equator than where I live yet we get pummeled every year with snow. Right now we have 20" on the ground and it's 12 degrees outside. This weekend it's suppose to get into the 50's and rain. It does get crazy here as Lake Michigan fuels our weather :rant:

Lake effect snow, I've been around the lakes when that has happened in the winter and it really dumps the stuff, unlike north Finland and central Canada where it just drifts down gently, you should be grateful that didn't come down as rain.

Got a friend just outside Atlanta, but he drives a Porsche and has a house on the lake with jet skies and boats, done very well for himself.

Lake effect snow, I've been around the lakes when that has happened in the winter and it really dumps the stuff, unlike north Finland and central Canada where it just drifts down gently, you should be grateful that didn't come down as rain.

Got a friend just outside Atlanta, but he drives a Porsche and has a house on the lake with jet skies and boats, done very well for himself.

My brother says Porsche's are as common in the Atlanta metro area as Honda's in most other places. There are tons of rich people in Atlanta. He usually sees Bently's, Aston's and Lambo's at least twice a week.

According to a buddy of mine in the FAA, Atlanta's airport is now the busiest in America. That city is growing fast and it's a major melting pot.