Strange Engine Start Problem

SteveW

Hi All,

Bit of an odd one this. I've been searching google for the past hour or so and can't find anything like my symptoms.

Sometimes my car behaves very strangely at start up and wondering if anyone can help.

When I start the car it immediately revs up to the normal 1100ish rpm then over about 1 second the revs fall away to about 100rpm and sometimes the car will stall. Other times it saves itself and revs back up to 1100rpm and is then fine.

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/SteWilf/media/BFCA958C-DC34-456D-BE55-15951FD48CE4.mp4.html

If it stalls when I restart the car it performs normally without struggling.

I have fitted a new battery but it hasn't helped. Any idea what might be the cause? I have no fault codes and the car runs fine once started.

Its totally random when it happens but cold mornings do seem to make the stall more likely.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by SteveW

Try cleaning all the engine bay earths, and the battery earth point, induction air leaks, have a careful listen around the plenum joint, and the vacuum hoses, if your satisfied that there are none, try resetting/relearning the throttle, there should be a thread on this procedure if you do a search.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the very very late reply to this. Sadly my partners dad died over Christmas so I didn't get chance to clean the MAF until recently.

Just cleaning the MAF hasn't made a difference so now I'll reset the throttle as suggested. The earths, vac leaks etc are all ok.

Sorry to hear your news.

Try cleaning the throttle body, I had a similar issue ages ago and I had the throttle body cleaned after reading about others with the same issue (seems to be more common in the US). You'll likely have to perform a throttle position relearn after the cleaning too.

Sorry to hear your news.

Try cleaning the throttle body, I had a similar issue ages ago and I had the throttle body cleaned after reading about others with the same issue (seems to be more common in the US). You'll likely have to perform a throttle position relearn after the cleaning too.

Thanks mate.

One question an ecu reset won't wipe the Uprev will it? I assume the Uprev changes the base map and is then hard coded onto the ECU?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Have you cleaned the throttle body yet? The video matched exactly what mine did until it was cleaned, no issues since. Mine was most noticeable when it was still slightly warm, like after filling up at the local petrol station.