Gearing up for a purchase

monkeyboy32

Hi – I’m new here. I’ve wanted a 350z for years and have finally been given permission to buy one. I’ve researched running costs and insurance etc but wondered what thoughts were on buying a reasonably high-mileage (85k) 2003 model. I’ve checked the car out and no finance, write-offs etc and it does look well maintained (wheels have been reconditioned and look as good as new). I’d also get it inspected before purchase.

I’m just weighing up spending £5k on a car vs £8k (which is the range I’m looking at). £5k gets me an older car with higher mileage but if it’s in good condition I could be tempted. £8k gets lower mileage and a bit newer but not sure if it’s worth it given the running costs of both will be similar.

Any thoughts?

as she gets old bits will wear out, so with a higher mileage car you'll be sorting those bits out sooner rather than later. at that age it would be a bonus if the clutch has already been done, if not it might be on the sooner list rather than later (some love the excuse to get an upgraded clutch...)

personally i jumped at my 100K zed as it meant getting behind the wheel 4 months earlier than i had planned. i've had a lot of work done to her as bits were just wearing out, nothing that screams problem car, just old car. i'm one happy owner :)

• Like 1

trick is to drive a few examples, get to know the car as much as you can before parting with your cash. if i were you id spend 7k and get the best example you can, with the remainder set aside for tax, tyres, repairs, brakes, battery etc etc

hopefully the car you choose will have had a clutch and exhaust replacement already.

david

• Like 1

There's a government website now where you can check the past MOT history of a car. Useful for checking what has needed doing in the past including notifications. Should give you an idea of whether it is generally sound as i have seen reports that have said the inside walls of the tyres are unevenly worn etc.

Was in same situation thought I buy the 04 version as cheaper tax wise but only had 73k full service history

Had about 16mths now used everyday 10k later no serious issues just wear and tear

Like some people have said mileage is not always the issue, if it's been loved and service history is spot on then 8/10 times car will be fine

83k over 11 years is way below average so couldn't resist

Plus my budget was up to 15k thought I see if I like the 350z which I do , gonna keep bit longer then upgrade to 370 I think

Good luck with whatever you choose

Edited by Wizza2000