Shortened plates on a 370...

JoshC

Just bought a new registration and looking to order some shorter plates to suit the prefix style of registration (J70 SXH). A few questions;

1) Assume I need to replace the front number plate mount, are these easily available?

2) Will a shorted plate expose any holes on the rear? (I assume there are factory fitted holes even though my plates are currently stuck on?)

3) What is the smallest size plates I can legally put on for the prefix reg with minimal spacing around borders? Ideally I'd like to have very little spacing between the 3rd and 4th digits. Even if it's not legal would just a minimal space attract much attention form police?

4) Can anyone recommend somewhere to order them from, if possible somewhere that supplies shortened 3D gel or even metal one's if they exist?

And finally, does anyone have any pictures of a 370 with shortened plates? I have a felling it may look odd on the rear?

Cheers :)

If you remove the front mount you are left with this

84ca8695bbe12c4c12228622ba5adb1f.jpg

You can have smaller plates as long the letters and spacings are correct. Mine is 13.5" x 4.5" but only has 5 digits on it. There's a good chance you won't get pulled up specifically for an incorrect plate, but if you are pulled for any reason they will check it and then make an issue of it. Be aware that to be legal a plate must also show the BS marking and the name & postcode of the maker. I had the BS marking put on mine then 'made up' my own company name, and added a postcode.

Companies like myshowplates and A1 showplates etc will all make a plate to any spec you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry mate, nothing that will help you. I had the short front plate on a "show-n-go" retractable plate going into the grill

0520a136f5115b2cbbd7a7cc9a11a858.jpg

and now have a totally different bumper on. I've just got a short rear plate but it's not fitted as its for a modified rear bumper I'm having done. I think the rear one is stuck on, if not I'll swap it for the short one tomorrow and take a pic for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As mentioned above, Demon Plates will do custom sizes ... All Demon plates are legal ... my Porsche has a shortened 3D front plate and a standard size rear

IMG_1122_zps2iugtw8k.jpg

To be legal you need 11mm border, 11mm between letters/numbers except the separator which should be 33mm

• Like 1

Cheers both, think I may stick to standard on the rear then. Would like to get it as small as possible on front though.

Dave, to save me taking my front mount off just yet, were the holes on the front bumper or are they in the grill just below? Wondering if you've just cleaned the mess off the bumper and covered holes on the grill with the front plate?