recommend a diesel

GIXXERUK

i was made redundant recently, co i worked for for a long time became insolvent

i now have another job BUT its in Bicester which is 376 mile round trip for me, so i cant use the zed :scare: but its not going :thumbs:

i need to buy a diesel to do the weekly trip, i want to spend as little as possible as it will be used as a beater (although i'm thinking revo it already :lol: )

it will be a few years old but what do people recommend for economy and reliability ? tdi golf, gt tdi golf, seat, audi, peugeot etc ?

i did start thinking vx220 or an elise :blush: good power to weight ratio :surrender:

cheers

Paul

Elise supposed to be good for 36mpg lol but don't think I'd want to do that mileage in one!

Whats your budget? You can't go far wrong with Passats, never had one myself but if I had to have a 'sensible' car then I'd go for Passat.

For a low budget runaround, pug Dturbos are really comfy for long journeys. The HDI engine is superb in the later pugs if you can live with the styling.

I've got a pug 406 hdi estate, all the toys and 167k...only bought it as a runaround til I get the Zed B)

probably looking to spend up to 4k for now, it will only be used for work, so doesnt have to be big

yeah passats have a good rep but it must be the same engine as the bora, golf, a3, a4, seat, skodas i would think ?

i used the co passat for a week and from 70 - 100 it pulled like a train

probably looking to spend up to 4k for now, it will only be used for work, so doesnt have to be big

yeah passats have a good rep but it must be the same engine as the bora, golf, a3, a4, seat, skodas i would think ?

i used the co passat for a week and from 70 - 100 it pulled like a train

On that budget I'd go for the Passat (or the Bora I suppose). Missus drove one quite a bit, sporty feel (I'll ask her what model it was) like you said pulled like a train and still returned almost 50 to the gallon IIRC.

I've always had a soft spot for the older shape Passats though. You could get the HDI engined pugs though, more economical I would think.

Yes 1.9 TDi. And make sure it's the the 130bhp model and not the lesser one which I think is a 112 bhp.

Def that one, with the red 'i' I think. That was the one the missus drove, loads of power and still got between 45-60mpg she reckons.

They did a sports kit which looked nice, or probably a petrol model, had large spoiler and nice alloys.

Yes 1.9 TDi. And make sure it's the the 130bhp model and not the lesser one which I think is a 112 bhp.

Def that one, with the red 'i' I think. That was the one the missus drove, loads of power and still got between 45-60mpg she reckons.

They did a sports kit which looked nice, or probably a petrol model, had large spoiler and nice alloys.

Sorry, but what's the point in the bling on a Passat??? :headhurt:

Sorry, but what's the point in the bling on a Passat??? :headhurt:

Subtle styling is always good :D

Actually, can't find one like that on google so I'm guessing the one I saw had a non OEM spoiler fitted.

:lol: " THIS YEAR WE ARE GOIN TO BE MILLIONAIRES RODNEY " :lol:

thanks for the advice B) its not been a great year - hopefully this one will be :teeth:

the co i worked for had been trading for 20 years (30 mill turn over) then it was sold but the guy who bought it overstretched his finances and then it went down hill, we found out 2 days before they closed the place :rant:

i've never been unemployed before ! its not nice :scare:

any how back to the car - i will use the zed for a couple of weeks to make sure everything is as it should be and then get a diesel

the priorities are economy - reliability then comfort as its a fair old hike

anyone live anywhere near bicester ? (silverstone country B) ) is it a nice place ?

jay your a tinker :lol:

should a van be an option ? are they more expensive to insure ?

From memory the RAOC have a big barracks at Bicester

Bicester, is an expanding market town which retains some interesting buildings, including the Market Square, with 16th century buildings around it, and St Edburg's Parish Church.

As well as shops, there is a sports centre and swimming pool. You can shop to you drop at Bicester Shopping Village, just south of the town.

http://www.oxtowns.co.uk/bicester/

Sounds pretty good ;)

cheers rob, i'll probably commute and stay over a couple of nights each week, the co are paying for my accomodation for 6 months then it will be a caravan :lol:

what the most important thing with a diesel - mileage or service history ?

i have no experience of diesels being a petrolhead all my life

cheers rob, i'll probably commute and stay over a couple of nights each week, the co are paying for my accomodation for 6 months then it will be a caravan :lol:

what the most important thing with a diesel - mileage or service history ?

i have no experience of diesels being a petrolhead all my life

At 376 miles round trip, a hotel will be the cheaper option mate!! :lol:

TBH, I would say service history. All diesels have much shorter service intervals (approx. 6,000 miles for oil changes for most) and a lack of oil in a diesel engine is likely to do it the most damage. By their nature, diesel engines take the miles better than petrol engines. Paying more for a low mileage car won't help if you're piling 50k a year on it anyway.

Just bear that in mind when going VAG for your parts..... ;)

i am partial to vag i've had mk1 mk2 mk3 mk5 golfs and a corrado vr6 before

lots of places to get parts, oem vag parts are :scare: prices

a few people have said peugeot make the best diesel engines ? is this bull ?

Alfa make the prettiest cars according to some. Rest of the car is still sh!te!! I think they're OK, plenty of family have had them, but they're far from refined. Plus you'll be lucky to find anything from them with leather or toys, a class below the VAG stuff IMO. Be just as well to get a Focus for £4k, as another idea....

:headhurt: too much choice ! i just wanted to say i'll take the red one :teeth:

my conundrum is that it will purely be a work horse so i dont want to spend needlessly but it must be ultra reliable, i dont want to be miles away from home and broken down :headhurt:

the journey is approx 3 hrs each way, i went to the interview in mrs gixxers clio 1.2 turbo and it returned 40 mpg but i think it would murder it long term, so it must be diesel imo

cheers for the info rob (and others who have replied )

paul

ps. another thing that confuses me is people love the diesel passat but surely this has the same engine as a golf , bora, a3, a4, seat, skoda etc

note to self - dont lower it and change the rims and exhaust, leather retrim, revo etc :headhurt:

With the way prices are for flights i.e ryan air, would it not be cheaper to fly, get a holidays inn membership, which will decrease in payments after the 6 months duration that your company will be paying for then fly back, saving petro insurance the lot :thumbs: you can get return flights for like 16 quid :scare: or better still start up your own company :thumbs:

With the way prices are for flights i.e ryan air, would it not be cheaper to fly, get a holidays inn membership, which will decrease in payments after the 6 months duration that your company will be paying for then fly back, saving petro insurance the lot :thumbs: you can get return flights for like 16 quid :scare: or better still start up your own company :thumbs:

the nearest airport to me is 60 miles away, i suppose its an option though, the guy who works opposite me lives in spain and it will cost less and he will be home before me :scare: he books well in advance and it something like £12 for the flight !