Tyres, Tracking/alignment and Racing Tyres

PKAT

Afternoon all

I've got Potenzas on all four paws and they were put on 14 months ago, 8000 miles approx . Plenty left you'd think, but my wheel aligment/tracking appears to be out so I have uneven wear.

On track days, do you guys and gals use an old set which might not be very road legal but perfectly acceptable for making a mess with? Parts of mine are hardly touched, but other areas are worn and it seems a waste to get shot of them when for a few squid someone can have them and have fun with them?

Thoughts?

I'm having alignment/tracking checked tomorrow and have copied two sets of measurements to take with me.

Which Potenzas? RE050A or RE040? If they're 040 then bin the horrible things, if 050A then good choice :)

I run both road and track tyres, depends on what I've got floating around or what I'm driving. I normally drive there on the nearly dead set (but still legal, I hasten to add) then set about destroying them on track. I then bring the new ones with me, and swap over either at lunch or at the end of the day. But yes, absolutely a great idea to flog them on eBay or wherever to get some cash back.

Good track settings almost never make good road settings, hence the odd tyre wear. Never bothered me as long as I get 10K from a road set of tyres then that's just an annual cost, and I'll easy get that if I buy track tyres as well and keep them on a spare set of wheels.

Track alignments are very different to road alignments.

Track settings are great on a nice smooth piece of tarmac and when you're going round corners at 90mph. Those same settings on the road will result in uneven tyre wear and typically, lots of tram-lining (wandering steering).

Sure, there's always the middle ground between the two optima, but then you're compromised on both.

As for tyres, depends on how you drive. I go out for long stints and give them a hard time, others go out for just a few laps then come in again. If you want to push for particularly decent times or drive for long stints, road tyres will melt and/or go off quite quickly. If you're happy just doing a handful of laps then coming in again, road tyres will be fine.

trackdays are a little different... certainly the tyres don't need to have the minimum amount of tread on for water dispersal if you know its going to be a bone dry track. However i'd still suggest they need to be in reasonable condition - not down to canvas and no nicks or tears.

but then again, we've ran ancient old tyres which had seen better days... only stopped using them when they unpeeled themselves.

alternatively, sell them to a drifter - drifters don't care about condition of tyres as long as they hold air!

i'm guessing, that the middle and outside of the tyres are absolutely fine, but the inside edge is balder than Bruce Willis?

Edited by brillomaster

trackdays are a little different... certainly the tyres don't need to have the minimum amount of tread on for water dispersal if you know its going to be a bone dry track. However i'd still suggest they need to be in reasonable condition - not down to canvas and no nicks or tears.

but then again, we've ran ancient old tyres which had seen better days... only stopped using them when they unpeeled themselves.

alternatively, sell them to a drifter - drifters don't care about condition of tyres as long as they hold air!

i'm guessing, that the middle and outside of the tyres are absolutely fine, but the inside edge is balder than Bruce Willis?

Spot on!