HR air mods

Luke350

From what ive read. The HR models have unreal air flow as standard with the exhaust spec and dual air intakes. So the question is, do I bother even trying to make an already fast car faster? Just part ex'd my 350bhp Impreza STI and that LOVED breathing mods. A turbo inlet manifold for a couple hundred quid would get you 30bhp. Full exhaust systems gettin an extra 50bhp. My live map alone with full breathing mods gained me 50bhp. But I feel this isn't the way to go with this type of car? Is there any real way to go without spending £1000s?

To be honest mate the standard airbox is best on the HR as you tend to get a lot of heat soak with aftermarket intakes. I've got a HR like yours and I've also looked at the Injen and Stillen CAI (long arm) but you're looking at spending approx £500 for some shiny bits that prob won't make a difference to the performance.

One thing to consider is changing the exhaust setup. I've got Berk HFCs, Stillen Y pipe and Cobra resonated catback. Sounds awesome! Slight droney around 2k but cruising at 70-80 on motorway is nice and quiet.

Any breathing mods you do will require a remap (called Uprev) which will cost another £400ish but I've heard for the HR you're unlikely to see much gains or feel much difference as the engine is already updated from the DE to maximise its potential. Hence why I've spent my money on aesthetic mods and not bothered with remap yet even though I've done all the breathing mods to warrant it.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Ye it does. When you read up on the money spent on the development of air flow on the HR (it has 2 air intakes for gods sake) it seems like Nissan know the best setup for that engine. Other than injectors, cams and even forced induction, I can't see and "minor mods being worth it. The HR I'm getting sound unbelievable as standard. And when I got it about 5k it was one of the nices engine notes if ever heard (and that coming from a boxer engined scooby owner!) so if I don't care to change the sound, and there's no real power increase, it seems a little pointless. I may just enjoy it standard. Throttle response it fantastic already too.

• Like 1

I Have done HFC's custom exhaust and Nismo induction kit (bought for a bargain second had and put new filters on and had it powder coated my own colour then had it mapped. mine is fairly low millage so I got a decent 30BHP gain with the map etc.

Nothing you can do will net anything like the gains you got with your Scooby unfortunately

Two real options for HP increases on the HR intake , silicone intake hoses with drop in filters (K&N or Cosworth) or the Stillen CAI long pipe set up which delivers the most but requires trimming the stock plastics to suit , the difference between these two is in the region of 4-6hp

Sadly zeds in general wont make the stated power on many dynos, check out this thread

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/23450-dyno-results-info-thread/page__st__120

With NA cars modifications wont yield much increase in hp however an Uprev remap will change the way the car drives so it will feel much faster

Nothing you can do will net anything like the gains you got with your Scooby unfortunately

Two real options for HP increases on the HR intake , silicone intake hoses with drop in filters (K&N or Cosworth) or the Stillen CAI long pipe set up which delivers the most but requires trimming the stock plastics to suit , the difference between these two is in the region of 4-6hp

Sadly zeds in general wont make the stated power on many dynos, check out this thread

http://www.350z-uk.c...d/page__st__120

With NA cars modifications wont yield much increase in hp however an Uprev remap will change the way the car drives so it will feel much faster

Why would a silicone hose increase HP?