Changing plenum chamber - anything to look for?

H5

Thanks for that bud, some useful stuff in there. :thumbs:

Since it is going on soon, I may as well tell.....!

I am actually swapping it out for a polished version of the same. The only other one I'd go for is the Cosworth, but from the looks of it, there is a gasket between the upper and lower plenum - is this cork? Metal? Something else? Also wondered about torque settings for doing it back up?

In a nutshell, am I ok pulling the usual socket set and wrench out, and doing this myself? I'm not a complete novice, but have no back up if I mess something up! :blush:

metal gasket between plenum, I seem to remember when I swopped mine (long time ago now :blush: ) :thumbs: just get good quality allen key's to undo the bolts as they can strip out the centres easily.. I used a torque wrench to retighten as it easy to overtighten the 6mm bolts and strip the threads :) and dont drop anything down the inlet :lol:

metal gasket between plenum, I seem to remember when I swopped mine (long time ago now :blush: ) :thumbs: just get good quality allen key's to undo the bolts as they can strip out the centres easily.. I used a torque wrench to retighten as it easy to overtighten the 6mm bolts and strip the threads :) and dont drop anything down the inlet :lol:

That's what I'm worried about! :lol::blush:

Any ideas what the torque settings are?? :)

found the Kinetix instructions on line here :thumbs:

http://www.350zfreak.com/plenum.htm

:thumbs:

I assume the gasket is reuseable then?? :wacko:

:thumbs:

I assume the gasket is reuseable then?? :wacko:

yep , so long as you havent damaged it :thumbs:

There is some logic in that! I didn't give this much thought and am now worrying myself that I'm going to cause a load of damage!!

Will give it a go later. Is there a way of testing if there is an air leak when it is on?

i managed the kinetix no problem, just give your self an hour or so as there is a lot to take off and put back on, oh and dont loose any screws :teeth:

ps, hurry and send yours back to phil as its coming my way after that :thumbs:

There is some logic in that! I didn't give this much thought and am now worrying myself that I'm going to cause a load of damage!!

Will give it a go later. Is there a way of testing if there is an air leak when it is on?

drive it, if its leaking you will know ;)

Now that just sounds dangerous!! :surrender:

Thanks Trev and Paul. Will have a go tonight. Might even do my own guide on how to retrieve screws from cylinders 2 and 5!! :lol::blush:

Will get mine back out asap Paul. :thumbs:

Thanks Trev and Paul. Will have a go tonight. Might even do my own guide on how to retrieve screws from cylinders 2 and 5!! :lol::blush:

You have a well lit garage then? Or will you be holding a pen light between your teeth? :lol:

You have a well lit garage then? Or will you be holding a pen light between your teeth? :lol:

Indeed I do! :thumbs:

Just about to give it a go..... :scare:

Its a doddle mate.

Had mine off and the new one on in a couple of hours and i did the plugs as well.

As soon as it is off put some clean rag on the inlet then dropping stuff is not an issue.

As for torque settings. I loosely fitted all the bolts and then slowly nipped down opposing bolts until it was nicely seated. Checked them a few days later and tightened them slightly. Re used the gasket no probs at all!!

Ming the Meddler

Well it is done. I will write it up with pictures later, but it's not too hard. The main concerns are making sure you can remove the 4 pipes from the plenum without damaging of breaking the retaining clips.

I currently have an erratic idle which I'm hoping by giving it a run out today will solve it.

Thanks for all your help and input guys. I did what you said Ming, lightly did all the bolts then nipped them up. I have a torque wrench, but it's lowest setting is 30 lb ft, so I didin't use it on this. The Kinetix instructions show even lower figures as it isn't as sturdy as the OEM one.

Pictures to follow...... :thumbs:

Edit - pics here - not great quality as taken by a muppet, in the dark, in a rush!

P1030156.jpg

P1030158.jpg

They don't do it justice at the moment. Will get some done in better conditions. :blush: