cheap Y pipe - to buy or not to buy?

Spatt

Hi folks,

as titled, I find myself in the market (yet again) for a new y pipe.

had a look and ebay are knocking them out for around 120quid. anyone ever fitted one of these? do they do the job?

I have HFC fitted and these will be coming off as i think its partly to blame for the premature failure of two y pipes. I'll be going back to stock cats.

Matt

I have a Y pipe, think its a Scorpian(??), but both flexi's are blowing.

Flexis are about £15 each and all you need is someone to weld them in for you.

Technically you can clamp them on if you prefer although that would lose you a cm of ground clearance.

You can have it for £20 which covers the shipping if you are interested? Its a little more effort but a lot cheaper.

Cheers

Chris

I used to keep wondering the same thing myself about buying a cheap Y pipe.

I came to the conclusion that it was not worth buying another pipe with flexi joints because it is inevitable that the flexi joint will go again.

The Stillen Y pipe is a solid one but it is around £300 just for the Y Pipe, so I keep thinking about having a dual exhaust system custom made instead, I don't think it would cost that much more and it should last a hell of a lot longer if it is a decent grade of stainless steel and without the flexi joints.

I know it's a hideous expense, but when my Y goes... which it will.. it's a nIsmo after all, I'm going to get some art pipes and a motordyne Y with the cat. Will save weight and sound even more awesome... Although about £1000 which is 8 ebay replacements, so maybe not worth it.

I have Berks with Top Gear system and a £20 EBay special. It's been on a couple of years and is obviously cheap steel as it's looking pretty shabby. but it's still intact and doing its job. TBH at that price I'm not that bothered if it goes any time soon. :lol: I don't think you can blame the cats, decats or any other part on the failure, you have just probably had bad luck. Or, have you checked your engine mounts recently? Could be causing excessive movement!!

Hey folks, sorry my notifications where off for this thread !?!? :rant:

Toon Chris - Thanks for the offer. I'll have to say no thanks as i have my old Y pip still and replacing the flexi's is still an option for either that one or the one thats on there now.

Brillo - It's always the Flexi thats going. possible engine mounts? harsh throttle delivery and aggressive driving putting load on them??

Smc - Dont think i can go solid for the above reason? Need the flexi to do its job as i think my engine is moving around too much.

Paddy - i think your nuts haha... i did replace my last one with a second hand cheap y pipe and it only lasted a month or two before its started "chuffing" not its blowing like mad again.

Floydbax - Hit the nail on the head! i reckon its the mounts but i took it to my local "mate with a ramp" and we tried moving the engine around with a bar and although it moves it is stiff.

personally i think my mounts have gone but all the more reason to not get a solid piece. I think i'll explore the option of replacing just the flexible connections or try a cheapo y pipe from ebay?