URGENT - Passenger Door Lock (will not lock)

Mikey Thompson

As the title says really but a bit of history:

Bought the car ('04 with GT pack) from a small town dealer in January, noticed that when I lock the car and try to open the passenger door, it pops open.

Now, the door could not be opened fully, it just went to the point where it sits when you don't shut it properly (about 1cm open).

After haggling the price to factor this in, got it home, sprayed GT85 around the mechanism which solved the problem for a good 4-5 month. After this, the problem then became intermittent.

Now, this evenings discovery is that when I now try the passenger handle after locking the car, the door opens fully?! Also, ever since I bought the car the passenger door could not be locked/unlocked using the button on the interior handle. Electric button on drivers door worked fine, but the manual one on the passenger handle does not budge at all.

Would appreciate any immediate help with this as obviously my door can be opened at all times!

Almost the exact same problem on a Xsara I'm working on today.

One of the rods had become detached because the mechanism had seized up and generally was buggered.

You might be lucky and a rod has become detached but it could be the mechanism has worn to the point where something isn't returning properly.

You need to take the door card off and probably drop the latch mechanism out but it'll be a sod of a job if this one is anything to go by!

Make sure you carefully note where all rods, pins and leavers line up to

Almost the exact same problem on a Xsara I'm working on today.

One of the rods had become detached because the mechanism had seized up and generally was buggered.

You might be lucky and a rod has become detached but it could be the mechanism has worn to the point where something isn't returning properly.

You need to take the door card off and probably drop the latch mechanism out but it'll be a sod of a job if this one is anything to go by!

Make sure you carefully note where all rods, pins and leavers line up to

Take pictures as you go.