Understeer

SherlockH

Im quite new to FR layout cars as this is my first RWD. I was expecting the car to oversteer more.

Im after making the car handle more neutral, the tyres are what looks like some sort of budget tyres - which if changed is probably going to help leaps and bounds - but they are almost brand new (don't hate I bought the car with them on).

After a little bit of searching I found a few threads, slightly relating to this problem. I want to keep or improve the sharpness of the turn in so I don't really want to sacrifice that by putting big tyres up front.

I'm a little to unsure where to start, do I start looking at coil overs or arbs first ? I really like the feel of the stock suspension for long trips mainly Portsmouth - Middlesbrough, so I'm not after a full track style set up.

Should I maybe consider looking at the bushes ? as the car has 70,000 on the clock.

As I'm not used to the car the problem is probably more the driver :lol:

Sorry if this post has been covered a lot, would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

The first step I'd say would be to get decent tyres on and have someone that knows what they're doing check that everything's in order (including wheel alignment). Maybe once the car is working as it should it will handle in a more balanced way :)

No point in modifying until you know where the base point is.

• Like 2

Agreed. Bin those crappy tyres, get some decent ones on there, then get a geo by someone who can understand and interpret what you want the car to do. Little bit of toe out at the front and less camber at the rear should help nicely.

• Like 2

Agreed. Bin those crappy tyres, get some decent ones on there, then get a geo by someone who can understand and interpret what you want the car to do. Little bit of toe out at the front and less camber at the rear should help nicely.

Is it possible to achieve a "fast road setup" within the adjustment of the stock suspension?

Having the geo done on mine Friday before trackday next week.

I will be looking for a setup that keeps the car within standard spec but towards the end of the range that will give best settings on track (stock suspension)

Trying to eliminate understeer which was noticeable on previous occasions as much as possible within the limits. Running on MPS all round.

Cheers :)

• Like 1

alignment, tyre quality, tyre width and pressures are all adjustable with standard suspension. if you're looking for less understeer you can toe the fronts out a tad, fit wider front tyres, drop the front tyre pressures a touch, or fit cheap rears (not recommended!)

I used to have an mx5 I made the mistake of deliberately fitting cheap front tyres compared to the bridgestones on the back. Never known a rwd to understeer so much!

• Like 1

Is it possible to achieve a "fast road setup" within the adjustment of the stock suspension?

Absolutely! You would be absolutely amazed at the difference just altering the toe makes, and there's loads of play on that as stock.

Having the geo done on mine Friday before trackday next week.

I will be looking for a setup that keeps the car within standard spec but towards the end of the range that will give best settings on track (stock suspension)

Trying to eliminate understeer which was noticeable on previous occasions as much as possible within the limits. Running on MPS all round.

Cheers :)

Forget staying within standard settings, whatever you do like that you *will* get understeer. You'll want to be well into the red on most of those if you want a truly agile car, but don't worry about that: OEM settings are ridiculously conservative, and the car won't suddenly crash just because you've moved from the green to the red zones. Make the handle like *you* want it to, not how someone office bod in Nissan's legal department says it should.

• Like 1

Absolutely! You would be absolutely amazed at the difference just altering the toe makes, and there's loads of play on that as stock.

Where can I find some good settings to take to somone to set up

if I have the settings I want could get my local place that have a hunter to set it up

Somthing that's going to sharpen the car up without murdering the tyres