Engine remap etc advice

Maximus702

Hi guys I'm sure you have all seen this on here before bit I need some advice regardless.

I bought a 350 recently. It's the DR uprev engine and came with an aftermarket exhaust system.

It keeps triggering the engine management due to the lamba sensors. I've spoken to Horsham developments about getting it remapped and they have recommended a few adit iona bits that should make a bit of difference to the performance.

I'm sold on the idea of the plenum spacer but are high flow cats worth the financial outlay and are they as problematic for passing mot's as people say?

I'd be great full to hear from people who can give me some input. It's a fair chunk of change so I don't know if it's worth doing or if I'll end up regretting it.

HFCs I personally wouldn't bother with. Decat and swap for proper cats come MOT time would be my preference, if you wanted to go that route.

Plenum spacer definitely, as well as the remap, but just be sure you've finished with breathing mods before the remap else you'll have to have another one once you've changed something else. :)

Its unusual that just an exhaust will trigger the lights for lambdas, are you sure there not goosed or you already have aftermarket cats?

Personally hated decats (i had silenced decats), the exhaust got very raspy and excessively loud, although the car did rev a lot more freely :)

Some pass with hfc's, some dont, sorry to not be more helpful than that.

I wouldn't go the decat route. I have on previous cars and such a hassle swopping them out or bribing a tester every year. Performance over HFCs is not noticeable on the road. Standard cats however are restrictive and will noticeably impact on throttle response.

HFCs sometimes, more often than not, get through an MOT. Not guaranteed though.

As others have said HFC's sometimes get through the MOT fine and other times they won't. Fyi I had no problems with Berks HFCs on my Zed come MOT time but then I know others with the same set up have. :shrug:

The noise was fantastic though I have to say. Although it was an even better sound imo after I went to the Berks de-cats but then it is a definite MOT failure then unless you have a friendly MOT guy or are prepared to go through the "minor" hassle of swapping the Cats over.

Cheers for the feedback guys.

As for it triggering the sensors I've had it plugged into a diagnostic machine and it had the sensors working fine. The guy checking it over said it was going to be due to it not being the standard exhaust setup.

When I spoke to someone at Horsham they said something similar.

Only problem I have is that the guy I bought the car off didn't have all the cars history. There is a receipt for the exhaust but he didn't know if anything else was done.

Is there a way I can check? I'm not very skilled mechanically but I'm keen to learn.