Reg plate Question

Quinster

Bought my car from a dealer a few weeks back and it seems the reg may be worth some money.

My question is this...

If i haven't paid for the car outright can i still sell the plate or transfer it to another one?

My plate is worth more than the plate i want.

Anyone any ideas?

Oh and another question while I'm here..

What type of wheels are mine?

I see people talking all about wheels and i don't have a clue what type of wheels these are.

My thoughts are they're just stock standard?

voyfis.jpg

• Like 1

Can't ask all this and not tell us what plate you got... :)

The wheels are bog standard Nissan OEM wheels. What those unfortunate enough not to get the Rays optional extra ended up with.

The one I've got at the moment is RD06 MEL.

I was looking at AD06 ZED. (I think it was that)

ps Are my wheels worth anything?

Ideally I'd sell them and put the money towards a nice Chrome set.

Edited by Quinster

the wheels aren't even that, they're the 17" wheels that only came on the imports - is the car a JDM version?

also, if you have the V5C for the plate in your name and your address (which you would do as you own the car) then its your plate to do with as you please. if you put the plate on retention the DVLA will automatically issue you a replacement number, can do it online these days.

• Like 1

the wheels aren't even that, they're the 17" wheels that only came on the imports - is the car a JDM version?

also, if you have the V5C for the plate in your name and your address (which you would do as you own the car) then its your plate to do with as you please. if you put the plate on retention the DVLA will automatically issue you a replacement number, can do it online these days.

Huh?

lol

Dunno what that means.

Sorry about this, it's all new to me man.

Oh and Wheels are 18", I've measured them.

Yes, it's an import.

Edited by Quinster

I think you'll find they're 17"s... and yeah they're the proper base spec alloys, don't even think UK zeds were ever sold with 17" wheels, hence why I asked if it is an import.

http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wheel_Specifications

With regards to the plate, I just mean do you have the Registration certificate V5c document, with the RD06 MEL number stated and your name and address as the registered keeper? if you do, the plate is yours to do with as you wish, regardless of owing finance on the car...

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

I think you'll find they're 17"s... and yeah they're the proper base spec alloys, don't even think UK zeds were ever sold with 17" wheels, hence why I asked if it is an import.

http://www.350z-tech..._Specifications

With regards to the plate, I just mean do you have the Registration certificate V5c document, with the RD06 MEL number stated and your name and address as the registered keeper? if you do, the plate is yours to do with as you wish, regardless of owing finance on the car...

Do I have to buy a new private plate before i can sell my original?

That plate isn't worth anything though mate... unless I am missing something?

DVLA would charge £250 - £500 to register something like that but as a private sale as I say I can't see any real value unless you know a lot of MELs :-)

Edited by mdunbar
  • Like 1

DVLA would charge £250 to register something like that but as a private sale as I say I can't see any real value.

You're obviously not called Melanie nor Melinda nor are you former West Brom manager Pepe Mel :lol:

• Like 1

DVLA would charge £250 to register something like that but as a private sale as I say I can't see any real value.

You're obviously not called Melanie nor Melinda nor are you former West Brom manager Pepe Mel :lol:

I am called Melanie actually but you didn't assume that my car was made before 2006 :lol:

Okay, only the last bit is true...

DVLA would charge £250 - £500 to register something like that but as a private sale as I say I can't see any real value unless you know a lot of MELs :-)

I saw RDO5 MEL going for £300 and RD07 MEL for £600.

So I'm in the ball park of £500 I'd reckon.

As long as it covers the price of the one I'm after (RD06 ZED) I'll be happy.

• Like 1

There's an awful lot of MELs on the DVLA database at £799, which says to me that no-one's buying them at that price. Where did you see those ones, out of curiosity?

Personally I'd chuck it on eBay and see what you get, I certainly wouldn't rely on selling it for the new one. Can you even put original registrations on retention? I don't know.

• Like 1

There's an awful lot of MELs on the DVLA database at £799, which says to me that no-one's buying them at that price. Where did you see those ones, out of curiosity?

Personally I'd chuck it on eBay and see what you get, I certainly wouldn't rely on selling it for the new one. Can you even put original registrations on retention? I don't know.

I don't know mate.

Never done anything like this before.

Cannot put normal registrations on retention as it should say on V5 non transferrable. If its a purchased or aftermarket plate then you can retain or transfer as many times you like. £80 transfer fee or £105 retention fee which includes the transfer fee. :)

• Like 1