Biggest self servicing frustrations.

bezza1121

So Friday I thought, Right My Oil needs doing, have managed to put about 9k miles on the car since I have got it, Really needs doing as I will need to be using it a lot etc. So went out brought the correct filter, crush washer and oil thinking I'll do it Saturday morn should't be too bad.

Never got around to doing it yesterday so decided to simply change my oil and filter today... I wish I had done it earlier..... Ended up trying marigolds, getting my GF to try , and almost destroyed the oil filter trying to remove with a chain wrench rounded the filter a bit :s usually easy to remove right?.

Long story short... So glad I always remove the filter before the drain plug.... 50 quids worth of mobil 1 fully synth wasted otherwise . Phew!!

Now I have to try finding a cup wrench or something similar. Halfords only seem to do a larger sized one looking online :s

you'd never think it...... Now I'm paranoid that my filter may fail with a leak. although I tested and there were no leaks at all.

Next thing will be the Trans and Diff fluid. I am anticipating this will be a lot easier the nuts and bolts are better placed for limited space underneath.

Anyone had this before?

I've had that a few times in the past with various cars. I bought this a few years back and has worked a treat as i change the oil for my family and my 2 cars. worth every penny.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Piece-Cup-Type-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Tool-Set-Car-Van-Garage-Professional-/201151734978?hash=item2ed593e4c2:g:G9UAAOSwnDZT8ILa

It wasn't too bad getting under, took a bit longer than expected though as some screws were rusted on the belly pan. (so will have to replace these). I had a bit of a semi panic moment as so much driving to do in the next couple of weeks, family commitments etc so no time. So went to Halfrauds and picked up esp formula 5w30, filter and washer from Nissan, must admit Opie prices are a lot better, cost a bit more but cold weather and that you know peace of mind, luckily have a couple of hours in the day on Friday so will get it done hopefully :D.

Really appreciate the advice. :D just noticed click and collect at Argos ++ looks a steal at £20 for the filter adapters. The screwdriver method .. I was thinking about it then my superstitious mind kicked in and decided against as being Sunday afternoon.

I'm ordering up some tranny + Diff fluid from a place called Horsham Developments in the next few days hopefully. I hear they are supposed to be pretty good. I believe the Trans + diff fluid were done a couple of years ago since looking at the service record..

Is that quite a common thing for the transmission nuts to be tight on the 350?

It wasn't too bad getting under, took a bit longer than expected though as some screws were rusted on the belly pan. (so will have to replace these). I had a bit of a semi panic moment as so much driving to do in the next couple of weeks, family commitments etc so no time. So went to Halfrauds and picked up esp formula 5w30, filter and washer from Nissan, must admit Opie prices are a lot better, cost a bit more but cold weather and that you know peace of mind, luckily have a couple of hours in the day on Friday so will get it done hopefully :D.

Really appreciate the advice. :D just noticed click and collect at Argos ++ looks a steal at £20 for the filter adapters. The screwdriver method .. I was thinking about it then my superstitious mind kicked in and decided against as being Sunday afternoon.

I'm ordering up some tranny + Diff fluid from a place called Horsham Developments in the next few days hopefully. I hear they are supposed to be pretty good. I believe the Trans + diff fluid were done a couple of years ago since looking at the service record..

Is that quite a common thing for the transmission nuts to be tight on the 350?

Horsham are traders on here and seem to have a decent rep. In regards to the nuts mine were b*****d tight. I got my fill plug out but my drain plug was nearly to the point where i thought my allen socket would snap.

Its regarded aswell that the 350 likes a dose of molyslip in with fresh gearbox oil to help smooth things up in there :thumbs:

Edited by 350 Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up getting the correct filter socket as suggested above :D worked a treat!!! anyone who reads this buy the cup wrench as suggested above. She's running even better from just a simple oil change :D. driveway got a bit covered though... I misjudged where my drip tray was for a moment. Next for the trans and diff fluid!!.

Ended up getting the correct filter socket as suggested above :D worked a treat!!! anyone who reads this buy the cup wrench as suggested above. She's running even better from just a simple oil change :D. driveway got a bit covered though... I misjudged where my drip tray was for a moment. Next for the trans and diff fluid!!.

Good work!