possible failing flywheel?

350 Russ

Im thinking my flywheel is on the way out, well thats what i think it is anyway.

Im not getting no slip and the biting point of the clutch is normal but I'm getting an occasional metallic rattle from the gearbox/cat area that sounds metallic. I thought it might have been my ally under tray hitting on my front gt spec brace but thats all tight and doesnt seem to have a movement to have a rattle that sounds that loud also it should be constant from that.

I also have a judder when pulling away when I've been sitting in traffic for more than 5-10 mins or so. there isn't any whine and sounds fine on tickover when its not rattling. I've just gone over 74000 miles on a standard clutch.

The judder after traffic could just be heat build up and/or the slave on the wane so the clutch isn't operating optimally. Mine did that when I very first got it and culminated with the pedal sticking to the floor. When my flywheel was on it's last legs, I could feel something weird clunking/wobbling through the clutch pedal.

The rattle isn't the heat sheilds on the cats is it?

• Like 1

i forgot to add I've changed the slave cylinder a year ago ish with new fluid. i cant feel anything different through the pedal.

Ill have to get it on the ramps and try and get underneath whilst its rattling to find a better idea.

Mine used to judder when pulling away (particularly reverse) and under load, i knew it wasnt the clutch as the previous owner had replaced it but being a cheapskate he hadnt done the flywheel, a few revs hid the problem, when i eventually got round to it, the flywheel was the culprit as suspected.

Mine used to judder when pulling away (particularly reverse) and under load, i knew it wasnt the clutch as the previous owner had replaced it but being a cheapskate he hadnt done the flywheel, a few revs hid the problem, when i eventually got round to it, the flywheel was the culprit as suspected.

Sounds like mine, I might have to bite the bullet i think. its about average milage they go.

Every chance that if the clutch was previously replaced that the flywheel wasn't replaced and that would explain the judder, If you know the history and it has never been changed then it's at the miles to be due a clutch.

We offer OEM replacement kits and our own Xtreme Clutch brand which offer a full Dual mass replacement to with the Solid Mass Flywheel.

More info can be found here....

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/95545-new-xtreme-clutch-organic-inc-smf-350z-de/

You can see the feedback of people that have gone for the kit and also all technical info. This kit is our biggest seller in the UK.

If you have any questions drop me a message :)

Rich

Ill be in touch when I've worked a few more weekends i think :yawn: . how many hours does it take a competent garage to change a zed's clutch and fly?

Ive owned the car for over 6 years and put 40k miles on it so its defo on its original. time for a new one i think with a lightweight fly.