technical - what causes new clutches to fail?

saint

Slave cylinder fitted incorrectly. The slave has a seal on it and it gets stuck. When you fit the new one it creates a blockage and pops the new slave.

Happened to me and it was a right git!

2007 astra H though

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On behalf of a friend with an Astra, his clutch gave out and he had a new one fitted. This one failed after 100 yards, and the replacement for that one lasted 2 miles. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

When you say failed, I presume you mean slipping badly, at a guess I would say the bite point has been previously changed at the pedal/master cylinder interface to accommodate a worn clutch plate, and then the new friction plate has been fitted and the bite point not re adjusted, so keeping the slave in affect open and stopping the friction plate making proper contact, resulting in chronic slip, failing that the clutch has been fitted incorrectly...wasent fitted by a Halfords monkey was it?

On behalf of a friend with an Astra, his clutch gave out and he had a new one fitted. This one failed after 100 yards, and the replacement for that one lasted 2 miles. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

When you say failed, I presume you mean slipping badly, at a guess I would say the bite point has been previously changed at the pedal/master cylinder interface to accommodate a worn clutch plate, and then the new friction plate has been fitted and the bite point not re adjusted, so keeping the slave in affect open and stopping the friction plate making proper contact, resulting in chronic slip, failing that the clutch has been fitted incorrectly...wasent fitted by a Halfords monkey was it?

Ironically it was fitted by Halfords, I have already given the telling off on that one. From what he said, the replacement clutch was in pieces when they removed it, and it went suddenly (no slipping or warning). Seeing as its happened twice on new clutches I'm thinking somethings up with the actuation? With it being an old car I doubt it'll be a hydraulic system.