Gearbox issues

Rs2oo

Hi all.

When cold, even on a nice day I struggle to get the car into gear until t's warmed up. Then,2nd gear never engages smoothly, it doesn't crunch, it just doesn't like going in and fights me and sometimes it feels like something is knocking. If I am careful and slow with the change into 2nd either up or down, its not bad. Gearbox oil never changed 46,000 miles. Will an oil change fix this or is it a syncro problem ?

Which gearbox oil is best please ?

Thanks - Martin

Seen hundreds of posts like this during my time on the forum and going back to when 350's were still quite new. The boxes are strong but best described as "agricultural" ......and that's what helps to make it such a great driver's car. I was spoilt with the 370 and the synchro-rev that made changes, both up and down, a breeze!

But a common characteristic of the 350s while warming up. But if it continues when fully warmed up then that might need further investigation.

No harm doing an oil change + molyslip that has certainly improved things for many.

During my time with the 350s (and 370 for that matter) always made a point of doing what might be best described as a two stage shift while warming up - i.e. 'feel' it through neutral rather than one solid pull through as you would/can when fully warmed up ;)

• Like 2