Oil goes down quite a bit

mattfinch

Hello all

Just wondering if this is normal or not. Had my 55 plate DE for 3 years now and never had a problem with oil. Since Iv had it Iv put a full Cobra system and de-cats with good air intake and up-Rev. For the last year I have moved close to work and drive about 1 mile there and 1 mile back. At the weekend it gets a good blast though. I have found my oil seems to go from max to min after around 800 to 1000 miles now since moving closer to work and doing short driving. Its not leaking anywhere. Is this normal as it does hardley any miles or should I be worried about something. I sevrived it about 4months ago and still the same.

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

Maybe try a thicker oil like 10w40? Max to Min is 1.5L which sounds a tad high for 1000 miles! A lot if these engines seem to use a bit of oil, but as long as you keep checking then should be no real issues... maybe worth putting a bit away each month in case the worst happens eventually.

Thanks guys. No smoke at all coming out the back. Apart from the normal white stuff on a cold day for about 2mins lol. But thats not smoke. And yep the oil gauge reads the above as normal too. All I can put it down too is the small travel. Maybe i will take a longer route home for a bit and see if that sorts it.

Topped up with some oil and there is a little bit of creamy stuff round the cap. This is no where else like dip stick. Think this could be condensation maybe doing something to make the oil go down or evaperat if thats possible.

Ok thanks. I normaly change the oil every 12months or 9k miles.

It does sound like this is due to the car not getting to the right temps. Could this damage the engine at all or will it be a case of keep having to top up. Either way I think im going to make sure I do a longer drive to work or let it warm up on the drive for a bit first.

In theory with modern oils it shouldn't cause damage, however when the oil doesn't reach at least 100C on a regular basis what happens is you get a build up of water and and corrosive deposits as a result of the combustion process, which because the oil doesn't reach operating temps will not always be processed/made more inert by the oil as its designed to do, which is why I advised you to change the oil more often.

am i right in thinking a catch can is for turbos? something about having to return dirty air to the intake side for emissions regulations. which then of course clogs the air filter faster than normal. the catch can is put along this route to try getting some of it out of the air stream before it's returned. just needs to be manually emptied every now and then and keeps the air filter a lot cleaner