UZ series v8 swap

SlickRick

That is very lucky! I was thinking it be in the range of 10-12k but a big saver like you got is a game changer!

It was a massive stroke of luck thanks to Paul at TDI North asking Mark at Abbey Motorsport about turbo options for the Z and Mark happened to have a 2nd hand kit. I snapped it up.

• Like 1

That is very lucky! I was thinking it be in the range of 10-12k but a big saver like you got is a game changer!

I think youd be lucky at £10-12K TBH, particularly if you want to get the most from it. Youre looking at turbo kit, forged engine components + installation, beefy clutch, standalone management, wheels, tyres, mapping ............ and thats without labour, if you got a garage to do it all I doubt youd see change from £15K.

I know some people enjoy the build but after enjoying a big build on at least 2 of my previous rx7's I would say, never again. I recently fancied a fi 350 so bought one done, there is/was a few decent builds for sale at £12k, its a no brainer if thats the route you want imho.

That's nearly half way to a gtr í ½í¸ in fact I would use that as a down payment tbh.

Its about what I paid for 430hp and 550+ lb/ft of torque and I got a free BMW 1 Series thrown in as well! :lol:

As Jetpilot says, best bet is to buy one already done unless you are going to do the work yourself/enjoy pain and stress.

• Like 1

It will be a hell of a car and what else can you buy for that money with 650hp, its just residual value that puts me off things like this these days.

There were guys putting 40 to 50k plus into rx7's when i had mine, obscene money, prefer to keep my powder dry now and keep the pot stacked up until other things hove into my price range.

• Like 1

It will be a hell of a car and what else can you buy for that money with 650hp, its just residual value that puts me off things like this these days.

There were guys putting 40 to 50k plus into rx7's when i had mine, obscene money, prefer to keep my powder dry now and keep the pot stacked up until other things hove into my price range.

I know. You never get the money back but I'm already 9 or 10k up with the second hand kit. And modifying is more about the pleasure you get from seeing and feeling each change and the satisfaction of being unique. But we all know this.

I don't think I'd have or even be contemplating a FI 350Z without that stroke of luck.

How far did the 50k get them with the RX7?

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

Varying results really, some built full on time attack, some built drag cars, some just built road/track cars. One guy was building a 20b (triple rotor) rx7 and had the engine rebuild 3 or 4 times as he keep blowing it up with a bad fuel set up, your probably looking at minimum 7.5k each build, he ended up with 550hp from memory as he got to scared to run anything but pussy boost. Another guy did a Veislide, 20k just for a paint job and some fiberglass panels.

A mate has a body shop/garage, he was building a Supra for a guy, the "first" delivery of parts came in a 7.5 tonne lorry just for his car and was circa £50k, bride seats x 4 as he wanted the back seats to match, wheels, turbo, exhaust, hks fcon, abflug bodykit, bbk, the list goes on. Its been there 4 years, haha, every time he gets some more money, he turns up with more parts and pay off some of the work done :)

I have done with my modifying to that extend, i enjoyed the journey but when i got my first 350 it always surprised me how much i enjoyed the very basics of motoring, having a car in my garage that i could get in and just drive :)

• Like 1

...or outside the box..AJP 4.5 Flatplane V8 good for 450 / 450, smaller and lighter than the Z V6 ensuring a power to weight over the magic 300/300/ton - ultra responsive engine that would suit the Z mean streak a treat - avail with compact gbox and cheaper than a new LS3 kitted out