Musty smell

longsh07

Since I snow foamed my car for the first time there has been a pretty ripe smell hanging around when its been sat not running for a while.

Running the AC clears it pretty quick.

I've tried to figure out if its worse when the air is recirculating or coming in from inside but its too difficult to tell. I think its worse when the recirculation is turned OFF.

Have already tried

• AC Bomb
  • Running AC full cold
  • Running AC full hot

Google came up with checking the drain pipe in the passenger foot well which I'll try tomorrow when its light.

Anything else I can check?

Also is this the intake for the blower unit? If so I'll probably take this to bits and see if there is anything in here causing the smell.

21145905945_c23c46ae7f_n.jpg

Could be moisture in the AC system that condenses during use and sits there once it's switched off.

Like you say, switching it on clears the moisture but as soon as you turn car off and restart but with AC off you can smell that damp musty smell.

Option 1

Keep AC on permanently.

Option 2

If you use your AC, 5 mins before you end your journey turn AC off and heater on high. This dries off any moisture that has condensed in the system so that next day when you start car with AC off NO SMELL :teeth:

You should run the AC on at least once every week or so even in winter or the pipes dry out, crack and leak resulting in no AC come summer time.

In winter turning heater on with AC acts like a dehumidifier. Don't have to run the AC on cold during winter! :lol:

I have exactly the same problem. If i've been out in the car and turn it off and come back a shortwhile later the smell is worst but really if the aircon isnt on then it is there. Pretty much just driving with the aircon on contunually.

Watching this thread with interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Right well I dont know what was causing the smell.

I took the scuttle pan cover off and sprayed a bunch of AG order eliminator into the fan intake which cleared the smell for all of about 3 hours...

Decided to give a different brand of air con bomb a go and it seems to have worked! So far its been fresh for the last few days. Will see how it goes.

Just for the record, the intake is on the passenger side (left) just behind the battery if anyone else finds this post.

21417647090_3f273fed85.jpg

21579501016_2e501afff7.jpg

Edited by longsh07
  • Like 2

The comma stuff seems to be available in Halfords for £11.99 so going to pick up a can for the weekend. Do you just bung it in that vent and run the aircon on full for 10 mins or something?

Edited by Jumzo

when i did mine a few years ago, think you put the aircon on recycle,open all the vents, close all the doors and windows then put the can upright on the passenger footwell, set it off, close the door and wait 10-15mins.

**edit** if you read the comments on the amazon link above as well :)

As Neo said. I moved my passenger seat all the way forward and put the can there.

Engine on, AC on full cold, full fan, recirculate, open all vents and close the doors/windows/boot.

Leave 20 minutes then turn off engine and open all doors/windows/boot to air out. :thumbs:

Edited by longsh07