z won't start :(

Ali_z33

Hi guys,

My poor z won't start. I tried a jumpstart but after 10 mins charging it still wouldn't start. Bit odd as i normally go offshore for a month to work and it always starts first time when im back. It was last driven 3 days ago.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alistair

im presuming its the not starting associated with a flat battery, ie starter motor fails to turn, rather than a fuel or spark issue?

how old is the battery?

if something drained the battery right down while you were gone, I'd expect it to need longer than 10 minutes idling to charge up again. get it running, give a nice hour long drive and then go from there.

The worst thing you could do if you have a slow drain on the battery is buy a new battery, as a slow drain will make that one go flat as well.

Thanks for the reply Mr Slidey. I assume it's a flat battery as the electronics don't work when i turn the key.

The battery is a few years old. I can't see a battery condition light so can't judge if its flat.

I'll try a longer charge and see if that works.

How can you tell if the battery has a slow drain?

Thanks

If you want to flaff around then charge the battery fully and then test with a discharge meter.

Check the alternator charging rate and and check for a slow discharge.

Check engine earths and battery and starter connections.

Remove and bench test the starter motor. etc etc etc.

Or just fit a new battery :thumbs:

You'd be surprised. When we went to buy my current zed, it wouldnt start, guy spent 20 mins charging and using jump start and still no go, his old man sent him to Halfords with instructions to buy their best battery, came back swapped dead for new, turned key and hey presto.......never had issues since.

I believe its all down to the available amps........but could be wrong

Hi guys. I used an ac battery charger and started the car after waiting around 20 minutes. Took it for a long drive and it seems fine. Let's see if it starts again tomorrow and take it from there.

Thanks for the advice guys.